The Hamburg Public Library reopens at 10 a.m. Monday, after being closed since December for construction of a 6,000 square-foot circular addition with 10 large windows and a huge skylight.
The addition will house displays, new books, coffee shop, meeting room, magazines, six computer stations and sitting areas, as well as a large piece of public art that was created last fall with the help of about 200 community members. New rest rooms are on the ground floor, and a fireplace near the former checkout area provides another reading nook.
Frontier School District will start the new school year in July with a new assistant superintendent for business.
School Board members appointed Carolyn Robertson as the assistant superintendent at an annual salary of $118,000. Robertson is the business administrator for the Forestville Central School District and has been a certified public accountant for 25 years. She has spent seven years in school district accounting. She will join the district July 1.
After Assistant Superintendent of Business Richard Binner retired in 2012, the district hired a business manager. That post became vacant with the resignation of Richard Calipari last July, and the district has had an agreement with Erie 1 BOCES to provide business and budgeting services.
• The Town Board will conduct a work session at 6 p.m. Monday in Conference Room No. 1 followed by a regular meeting at 7 p.m. in the board room in Town Hall, 6100 South Park Ave.
• Brush, grass clippings and yard waste collection in Blasdell starts Monday and will continue on Mondays through Oct. 26.
• The Blasdell Village Board will hold a public hearing at 6 p.m. Wednesday at Village Hall, 121 Miriam Ave. on a proposal to limit how long recreational vehicles can be parked on village streets. Under the local law, an RV, camper, motor home or trailer could not be parked on village streets for more than two hours on any given day.
• The 20th annual town-wide clean-up will take place Saturday in the town and villages of Blasdell and Hamburg. A free hot dog lunch will be served for volunteers from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at Hamburg Town Hall.
• The Hamburg Farmers Market opens at 7:30 a.m. Saturday and will be held every Saturday through Nov. 7. The market is open until 1 p.m. and is located in the Village of Hamburg Municipal Parking Lot, with entrances on Union and Main streets.