Share this article

print logo

Road rage charge from Niagara Thruway reduced to misdemeanor

A Buffalo man arrested last month on a felony reckless endangerment charge in an alleged road rage incident on the Niagara Thruway in Buffalo now faces a misdemeanor charge.

The charge against James J. Woelfle was reduced Friday from first to second-degree reckless endangerment because prosecutors said they were unable to prove that Woelfle acted with depraved indifference to human life, a requirement for the felony charge.

As a result, the case will remain in Buffalo City Court in front of Judge JaHarr Pridgen who scheduled further proceedings for May 14.

Prosecutors said state police will file additional charges against Woelfle.

Woelfle, 46, was arrested March 23, four days after he allegedly tried to force a car off the road with his pickup truck around 2 p.m. March 19 on the northbound Niagara Thruway near the Clinton Street exit. Police said Woelfle then got out of the truck and threw something at the car, which had pulled over.