Share this article

print logo

UB gives Shannon Evans release to transfer to any school

University at Buffalo Athletics Director Danny White will allow star guard Shannon Evans to transfer to any school in the country.

UB released a statement from White Tuesday:

"The first core value of UB Athletics is our student-athlete experience. To that end, we will always operate and make decisions with the best interest of the young men and women who don the blue and white to represent this wonderful institution on a national stage."

"After learning about the request for a release yesterday, and meeting with the student-athlete, I have decided that granting Shannon Evans a full release to transfer to any school in the country is in his best interest. We wish Shannon nothing but the best in his future academic and athletic pursuits."

Evans, who made second-team All-Mid-American Conference this season, said Monday he wants to pursue his transfer options and see if schools such as Arizona State, Virginia Commonwealth and Old Dominion are available to him. He said he would consider returning to UB, as well. Former UB coach Bobby Hurley, with whom Evans is very close, is at Arizona State. VCU and Old Dominion are close to Evans' Suffolk, Va., home.

Evans expressed relief that he will get to find out what opportunities are available to him.

"It's a great feeling. I appreciate it," Evans said. "I'm definitely going to take some time. I'm setting up a few visits and then I'll go from there. I'm going to keep my options open. I'm going to consider all options and go from there."

Evans said a return to UB remains a possibility.

"I haven't ruled it out, not at all," he said.

Evans still has three weeks of classes remaining in the spring semester. He was not sure of a timetable in making a decision.

"I've got to take some visits," he said. "I've got to talk it over with my family. I want to talk to my high school coach and make a good decision for myself."

Evans will have to sit out the 2015-2016 school year if he decides to transfer, which would appear to be the likely scenario.

There are no comments - be the first to comment