Town of Tonawanda
Along with voting up or down in May on a $155.2 million budget, Ken-Ton residents will also decide between at least two candidates for one seat on the School Board.
Incumbent Board Vice President Stephen G. Brooks is seeking another three-year term. Brooks, a financial adviser, was first elected to a two-year term on the board in 2010 and was reelected in 2012. He serves as treasurer of the Erie County Association of School Boards and on its executive committee.
Andrew Gianni, a Ken-Ton graduate who currently has two children attending school in the district, announced his candidacy last week. He works in information technology for Univera Healthcare and was previously employed by the University at Buffalo for over 10 years.
• The Town Board meets at 7:30 p.m. Monday in Council Chambers at the Municipal Building, 2919 Delaware Ave. A work session begins at 4 in the second-floor conference room.
• Rich Szczepaniec, a Kenmore resident and Vietnam War veteran, will present “Vietnam: Then and Now” at 7:15 p.m. Tuesday in the Tonawanda-Kenmore Historical Society, 100 Knoche Road. Szczepaniec returned this year to Vietnam as a tourist and will share stories and photos.
• The Ellwood Fire Company hosts a recruitment drive from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday at the fire station, 1000 Englewood Avenue. Men and women 21 and over who reside in the district are welcome to attend and discover more about volunteer firefighting. Officers and firefighters will be present to answer questions about firefighting. There will also be demonstrations of the company’s apparatus.
• The Kenmore Village Improvement Society’s “Big Kenmore Clean Up” will be held at 9 a.m. Saturday. Participants are asked to meet at the Village Green in front of the Municipal Building and bring a broom, garden tools and gloves.
• Registration continues for the Town of Tonawanda Aquatic and Fitness Center’s annual 5K Run, which will be held May 8. The registration fee is $20 until May 1, then will increase to $25. Call 876-7424 for more information.