Branches, sticks and brush lingered by the curb last year instead of getting picked up every two weeks. Now the town is trying something different as it looks for a contractor to take on the job from May 1 to Oct. 31. Contractor bids will be reviewed next week and the contract the town eventually signs will include penalties if brush is not picked up within two weeks.
“We’re going to be firm about it this year,” said Supervisor Patrick Keem.
When brush is not picked up, people complain of lawn damage. If it winds up in the street, it’s a traffic hazard.
“People get concerned if it’s not picked up in a timely fashion,” Fred Piasecki, highway superintendent.
The town will scrutinize brush collection bids carefully, he said. “We will then issue accordingly to the most responsible bidder.”
• The first “kickoff” meeting of the Community Activity Center planning committee will be held at 3 p.m. Monday in the first floor conference room, Municipal Center, 4295 South Buffalo St.
• The town Public Safety Committee meets at 6 p.m. Tuesday, police station, Municipal Center.
• The town Economic Development committee meets at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the first floor conference room, Municipal Center.
• The town Zoning Board of Appeals meets at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the basement meeting room, Municipal Center.
• The Orchard Park Board of Education meets, 7 p.m.,Tuesday, district office, 2240 Southwestern Boulevard.
• The village Zoning Board of Appeals meets at 7 p.m. Wednesday, first floor conference room, Municipal Center.
• The Orchard Park Chamber of Commerce hosts its weekly networking meeting, 8 a.m. Thursday, basement meeting room, Municipal Center.
• The Library will host the children’s program “Corrugated Castles,” about making castles with things around the house, at 1 p.m. Saturday, at 4570 South Buffalo St. Ages 6 to 12. Call 662-9852 to reserve a place.