If your tabletop could use some pops of pastels, early spring is the time to explore what’s out there.
The Threshold collection at Target includes dipping bowls, appetizer plates, ceramic egg crates and other pieces in pretty pastels – nice touches for serving Easter brunch, for example.
Williams-Sonoma offers porcelain plates “rimmed in flower-petal pastels” in a choice of soft blue, green, pink or purple. These, like others available, can be mixed, matched and layered with white dishes – or blended with all the bunny themes that show up on dinnerware and serving pieces this time of year.
A favorite tradition returns: A Mother-Daughter Tea & Fashion Show is set for May 2-3 at the Theodore Roosevelt Inaugural National Historic Site, 641 Delaware Ave.
“We’re showing wonderful spring florals and patterns from the last 100-plus years in the fashion show. We have a new influx of young models so we’re showing many garments for the first time,” said Janice Kuzan, the site’s assistant director.
Seatings are at 11:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Tickets are $35 for adults and $15 for children age 12 and younger. Prepaid reservations are required; call 884-0095. For information on this and other events, visit trsite.org .
Rings are the thing
Rings are a fun accessory trend for spring, and there are many options out there. Brittany Anas, from ShopAtHome.com, points out a few of her favorites featured on the website:
• Drusy statement ring, $16, Nordstrom: The gold-tone ring comes in bright “rock candy-esque” finishes and would be a fun statement piece to wear with a casual springtime outfit – like a black maxi dress or a flowy blouse and denim combo.
• City by City gold-tone buckle ring, $20, Macy’s: Yellow gold detailing emulates a belt buckle and can infuse some personality into any outfit, whether you’re dressed up for the evening or casual in jeans and a T-shirt, she wrote.
• Guess gold-tone multicolor connector ring, $20, Macys: An unexpected mix of fun colors – lavender, poppy orange, teal and cornflower blue – come together beautifully on a two-piece ring.
• Sterling silver heart ring, $20, Kohl’s: This minimalist silver band with a shiny black heart accent can be worn alone or stacked with other rings.
• Ice lateral ring, $28, BaubleBar: Two connected gold rings with embedded mini pave stones give you a double dose of glamour.
– Tribune News Service
And finally …
“I usually splurge on shoes – I still have pairs that I bought when I was 19! I don’t seem to spend a lot on clothes. If I do, it has to be a classic that has longevity. Otherwise, I love a good $25 dress.” – Actress Kate Hudson, in People StyleWatch magazine.