Share this article

print logo

Natural gas leak sends Lake Shore students to fire hall

Students arriving at an elementary school in the Lake Shore School District Friday morning were sent to a nearby fire hall while maintenance crews dealt with a natural gas regulator that malfunctioned.

A gas leak was detected shortly after 8 a.m. near Anthony J. Schmidt Elementary School on Lakeshore Road.

“Students were not in the building,” said School Superintendent James Przepasniak. “Buses were just beginning to arrive when the malfunctioned was identified.”

Instead, students were taken next door, to the Lake Erie Beach Volunteer Fire Department.

“We share a parking lot,” the superintendent noted.

Maintenance workers shut off the regulator.

“The fire department did a walk-through of the building and checked everything out,” Przepasniak said.

There were no injuries or damage, and students were expected to be back in the school for the 9 a.m. start of classes, according to the superintendent.

“The principal will send a letter home with the children this afternoon, just explaining what occurred,” Przepasniak said.