Share this article

print logo

Judge tells notorious graffiti tagger to stay out of Buffalo

Buffalo City Court Judge Diane Y. Wray had a word of caution Wednesday for a Town of Boston man who allegedly admitted he was “BONX,” one of the most prolific and notorious urban graffiti taggers in Buffalo. He was arrested last week on charges of making graffiti on a South Buffalo bridge abutment.

“It may be best to stay out of the City of Buffalo,” the judge told Nathaniel J. Parsons.

The 22-year-old defendant was in court with defense attorney Ian M. Harrington for a felony hearing to determine if he should be held for the grand jury.

But Assistant District Attorney G. Michael Drmacich said there was no need for such a hearing. He said he will pursue the case in superior court for a possible plea or presentation to a grand jury for a possible indictment and trial.

In the meantime, the judge ordered the parties to return to City Court on April 27 to review the status of the case.

Parsons was arrested last Thursday by Buffalo police after Matt Galas, a Norfolk Southern Railroad police officer, saw him around 6 p.m. beside the bridge abutment beneath a South Park Avenue overpass near Smith Street, apparently admiring his work.

Galas said Parsons admitted he was “BONX.” “He stated the game was over since he got caught,” he wrote in his report.

Parsons is charged with third-degree criminal mischief, a felony, and two misdemeanor counts of making graffiti and possession of graffiti tools – gloves, spray paint cans and a drawing of his tag on a sheet of paper.

He was arraigned Friday in City Court and released on $1,000 bail.

Parsons has been charged in just one case, but Drmacich said an investigation is continuing.

Sam Lunetta, coordinator of the Regional Anti-Graffiti Task Force of Buffalo, who was in the courtroom Wednesday, said Parsons may be involved in tagging at as many as 40 to 50 locations in the city since last summer.

James T. Sandoro, owner of the Buffalo Transportation/Pierce-Arrow Museum at Michigan Avenue and Seneca Street and a member of the task force, also was in the courtroom.

He said he plans to sue the taggers who targeted some of his properties. He said it costs thousands of dollars to paint over or remove graffiti with solvents, which can ruin the veneer and make the brick more porous, causing deterioration.