Share this article

print logo

Letter: Power Authority is doing fair share on gorge project

Power Authority is doing fair share on gorge project

Denise Jewell Gee wrote in her March 8 column, “Promised land elusive for Moses,” that the New York Power Authority should “do the right thing” and pay for the removal of a 2-mile stretch of the Robert Moses Parkway north of downtown Niagara Falls.

Indeed, the Power Authority is fully behind efforts to make the waterfront more accessible to broader swaths of the city. We have been a major partner in the Niagara Gorge Corridor Project and will spend up to $2 million for an engineering and environmental review of this section of the parkway.

However, the perceptions of what the authority should do must be informed by the reality of what the authority can do. The Power Authority only owns 70 percent of the land in question. We cannot legally make decisions on the remaining 30 percent. The corridor project is a partnership that consists of stakeholders on the local, state and federal levels, and we expect all parties to participate in the design and funding planning.

At the same time, the Power Authority is steadfastly committed to seeing this project is completed and will do our fair share. After all, we agree it is the right thing to do.

Gil Quiniones

President and CEO

New York Power Authority