Share this article

print logo

Dunkirk Highway Dept. is reviewed as applications for part-time supervisor are awaited

DUNKIRK – The town Highway Department is still working without a supervisor as applications are being reviewed for the part-time position.

Councilman Henry Waldorf said Tuesday that he has been visiting the department regularly and found that the two employees are doing well. Some equipment maintenance issues were noted, he said, including routine vehicle maintenance.

Town voters decided to eliminate the full-time position of Highway Department supervisor as an elected official last November. The move allows the town to make an appointment to the post. A local law was approved at the March 3 meeting to allow the Town Board to appoint a person who does not live in the town. Residency within Chautauqua County is required.

The town budgets $10,000 annually for the part-time position. Interested applicants can send letters to the town clerk.

In another business:

• The board is still investigating variances in the meter at the Stegelske Avenue water tank. Town Supervisor Richard Purol announced at the last meeting that there is some suspicion that someone is stealing water through a valve in the area. Purol said he has been monitoring the problem and will continue to update the board.

• Frozen water lines to two homes on Bennett Road, or Route 60, in the town’s water district have caused problems since the end of February. Purol said that the problem appears to be in the lines that are under the paved portion of the road.

The supervisor said that one of the homes has been without water for 20 days. The issue of who is responsible for the cost of repairs was referred to the town attorney.

• Board members approved a schedule of fees for work done on town highways. The base fee of $2,000 for each application was set. Other costs, including work performance bonds, may be required, based on the scope and area of the work. Additional fees will be set for work that requires a cut or push across the highway surface. A copy of the list of fees is available in the Town Clerk’s Office.

• Zoning Code Enforcement Officer Ryan Mourer said he has received two inquiries from residents who want to install windmills for power. He said copies of the local law on wind power will be provided to the residents.