Share this article

print logo

Fire sparked by gas leak destroys Bennington house

BENNINGTON – Fire sparked by a natural gas leak destroyed a Bennington house Wednesday afternoon.

Ice and snow falling from the roof damaged a natural gas meter, causing gas to leak, which found an ignition source, according to the Wyoming County Office of Emergency Services.

Fire ran up the exterior wall of the house at 60 N. Shore Drive and spread throughout the home, owned by Dorraine Shea. Damage was estimated at $125,000. Cowlesville volunteer firefighters were assisted by 12 other fire companies, and four others stood by for those companies at the fire.

One firefighter suffered a laceration on his hand from gas, and five cats were lost in the fire. The Red Cross is assisting Shea.