Share this article

print logo

What's next for Bills? Whaley: 'Wait and see'

The Buffalo Bills have been among the more aggressive teams during the NFL's business season ... and the free-agency period doesn't even start until Tuesday!

Last week, the Bills made one of the larger trades the league has seen in recent years by acquiring one of the game's best running backs, LeSean McCoy, from the Philadelphia Eagles in exchange for linebacker Kiko Alonso.

Then, on Monday, they re-signed defensive end Jerry Hughes, who was due to become one of the hottest commodities in the open market Tuesday, to a five-year contract.

What's next?

"Wait and see," general manager Doug Whaley said with a smile. He wouldn't elaborate.

Still, despite re-structuring McCoy's deal so that he will receive $16 million this year (making him the highest-paid running back in the league at the moment), acquiring veteran quarterback Matt Cassel and his $4.75-million contract in a trade with Minnesota, and paying Hughes a minimum of $9 million per year over five years with $22 million guaranteed, the Bills are believed to have enough room under their salary cap to still address other key needs, such as offensive guard, tight end and fullback.

"It just goes along with what our core philosophy is," Whaley said of the Hughes re-signing. "You get good players and you re-sign them and keep them. It's a testament to" Bills chief contract negotiator "Jim Overdorf, Jerry's agent" Ben Dogra "and the Pegulas for us coming to this conclusion. We're very excited."

Said Hughes, "I'm excited, but now it's back to work. Our main focus is to get an AFC East banner hanging in this building, so that's the plan. We finished 9-7, we have a lot of unfinished business. With that being said, I wanted to come back with these guys to take care of that and get that accomplished."

There are no comments - be the first to comment