The Flavor of Hamburg sidewalk festival will return this year on Aug. 8.
Organizer Norman Zintz said there will not be many changes to the festival, which had its inaugural run last year.
“We’re going to try and expand the art show and kid zone,” he said, adding that the kid zone would be free. “We’re still sticking with no beer tent. We’re trying to make it a family event.”
He said alcohol can be purchased at the many downtown restaurants along Main and Buffalo streets during the festival.
Zintz, who runs a hotdog stand during the summer, said he had to use some of his own money for advertising, so he plans to increase the fee for a tent for merchants. All the displays take place on the sidewalk during the festival, which will run from noon to 8 p.m.
The festival is trying to promote the village and bring people into the village who might not come into Hamburg, he said.
The Penn Dixie Paleontological and Outdoor Education Center is looking for volunteers to help with the increased demand for programs and events in fossil collecting, geology, astronomy, birding, wetland investigations and studies and the natural sciences.
A volunteer training session will take place from 8:30 a.m. to noon at the Gateway Executive Office auditorium, 3556 Lake Shore Road. To register, call 627-4560.
Families from more than 41 states, Washington, D.C., and 14 countries visited Penn Dixie last year. More than 4,100 feet of paved trails provide access for wheel chairs, walkers, strollers, and wagons for visitors, along with a bridge connecting the northern and northeastern trail sections on the site. Last year, 460 events reached more than 123,792 children and adults.
• The Town Board will hold a work session at 6 p.m. Monday in Conference Room No. 1 followed by a regular meeting at 7 p.m. in the board room in Town Hall, 6100 South Park Ave.
• The Hamburg Village Historic Preservation Commission will meet at 8:30 a.m. Tuesday in Village Hall, 100 Main St.
• The Hamburg village Planning Commission will meet at 7 p.m. Tuesday in Village Hall.
• The Hamburg Village Environmental Conservation Commission will meet at 7 p.m. Wednesday in Village Hall.
• Michael Cornell will attend his first School Board meeting as superintendent of the Hamburg Central School District at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday in Armor Elementary School, 5301 Abbott Road. Cornell starts Monday as superintendent.
• The Frontier School Board will hold a regular meeting at 6 p.m. Tuesday at Frontier Educational Center, 5120 Orchard Ave. The board plans to go into executive session immediately, and will reopen the meeting to the public at the end of executive session.
• The Village of Hamburg Recreation Commission will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday at the Youth Center, 200 Prospect Ave.