Share this article

print logo

Update: Pysyk released from hospital after collapse during pickup basketball game in Rochester

FT. LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- Defenseman Mark Pysyk, just sent back to the AHL by the Sabres on Friday, collapsed Saturday during a pickup basketball game with Amerks teammates at Blue Cross Arena and spent several hours at Rochester's Strong Memorial Hospital before being released.

Word came shortly after the Sabres' 5-3 loss to Florida that Pysyk had been discharged from the hospital. Sabres coach Ted Nolan told reporters a couple of players had received texts from Pysyk as well.

"It seems everything is OK and that's a great thing," Nolan said.

According to veteran reporter Kevin Oklobzija of the Rochester Democrat & Chronicle, observers said that Pysyk, 23, fell to his knees and then collapsed during the game and paramedics were called. The Amerks were not skating today and the players were using the court set up for a game of the semipro Rochester Razorsharks.

The story said Pysyk was "fairly alert" and his vital signs were "close to normal" when he was transported by paramedics.

Pysyk played 18 minutes, 19 seconds for the Sabres in Thursday's win over Vancouver and played a regular shift for the Amerks in Friday's overtime loss to Toronto (ice time stats are not kept in the AHL). He has no known history of any health concerns since the Sabres drafted him No. 1 in 2010.

Speaking prior to today's game in BB&T Center, Nolan said there was no indication anything was amiss with Pysyk.

"We just heard probably about a half-hour ago that he fainted down in Rochester during something they were doing down there, so we're just waiting to hear," Nolan said. "No history I'm aware of. You just hope and pray that everything is going to be OK and it's just maybe something less serious than it could be."

Pysyk took his morning skate in Buffalo Friday before heading to Rochester to play in the Amerks game Friday night.

"I spoke to him after the game and spoke to him again the next morning," Nolan said. "He seemed to be in good spirits. He skated with us before we left. He seemed fine."

Sabres defenseman Andrej Meszaros, who was Pysyk's partner during the games this week, also said there was zero indication of any physical trouble.

"I would have no clue. He seemed fine to me," said Meszaros. "He played very well. That would be news to me.  He was unbelievable. I enjoyed playing with him. It was fun to see him come up and play well like he did."


There are no comments - be the first to comment