Share this article

print logo

Electrical fire destroys Wyoming County home

WARSAW – A fire caused by a malfunctioning electrical outlet destroyed a house in the Wyoming County town of Bennington, the county’s Office of Emergency Services reported Thursday.

The fire at 1990 Maxon Road was reported just before 5:30 a.m. Wednesday and firefighters remained on the scene for more than six hours. No injuries were reported.

A malfunctioning wall outlet started the blaze, which caused an estimated $175,000 damage, authorities said.

The occupants of the home – identified as Raymond G. Melanson, Kathleen Solpietro and Mary Marzolf – are being assisted by relatives and the Red Cross. Melanson owned the home, authorities said.

Jim Kelly, assistant chief of the Varysburg Volunteer Fire Department, led the firefighting effort, which involved nine fire companies.