Share this article

print logo

Buffalo man convicted of robbing, shooting delivery driver for ATMs

A Buffalo man was convicted Wednesday of robbing and shooting a delivery driver for a company that fills ATMs with cash at bars and other businesses.

An Erie County Court jury found Ronald Hough Jr. guilty of attempted first-degree murder, first-degree robbery and second-degree criminal possession of a weapon in the Oct. 21, 2013, holdup outside Dinny’s Place on William Street.

Hough, 24, of Monroe Street, could face a maximum prison term of 25 years to life when Judge Sheila A. DiTullio sentences him April 1, according to District Attorney Frank A. Sedita III.

Sedita said Hough had previously been convicted of first-degree attempted robbery in another armed holdup in which someone was shot.

In this case, prosecutors said, Hough and a 16-year-old boy approached the delivery driver, who was sitting in a van outside the East Side bar waiting for his partner to finish filling the bar’s ATM with cash.

At Hough’s direction, prosecutors said, the teenager told the driver to hand over the remaining money.

When the driver locked the van doors and tried to call police, Hough shot him, and he and the teen fled with the money, prosecutors said.

The money – about $17,000 – was never recovered, prosecutors said.

The teen pleaded guilty to attempted first-degree robbery but has not been sentenced.

Hough’s father, Ronald Hough Sr., 54, of Monroe Street, and Kenneth Land, 43, of Clark Street, pleaded guilty to the same charge but have not been sentenced.

Hough Sr. and Land were accused of planning the holdup and following the ATM van as the two workers delivered cash.

William Stroud, 21, of Cheektowaga, pleaded guilty to a weapon charge and was sentenced to 3½ years in prison for possessing the loaded 9 mm pistol that was used in the robbery and shooting.

John Hamilton, 21, of Hilton Street, who allegedly drove the getaway car, has been charged with first-degree robbery and faces trial March 16.

Assistant District Attorneys Michael P. Felicetta and Eugene T. Partridge III prosecuted the case.