Sixteen teachers in the Frontier Central School District will be retiring at the end of this school year.
They will join 18 staff members taking advantage of a retirement incentive offered by the school district that offered an additional $25,000 separation incentive for employees who may have been at retirement age but did not have enough service with the district.
Superintendent Bret Apthorpe said it is too early to know how the retirements will affect next year’s budget. There are a number of teachers who have been laid off who are on a preferred eligibility list to be called back to work.
“Your only opportunity for true savings is not replacing a person at all. The consequence of that is huge class sizes,” he said.
The School Board, which has been discussing financial matters for several months, will be making decisions on the 2015-16 budget in the next couple months.
Spring break is coming, and registration is taking place for Winter Thaw, a variety of supervised, open gym-style indoor activities taking place Feb. 16-20 for children 7 to 14. Registration must be done in advance, and can be for the entire week or for individual days. Contact the town Recreation Office at 4540 Southwestern Blvd., by calling 646-5145 or going online at www.hamburg-youth-rec-seniors.com.
• The Hamburg Village Board will conduct a work session at 5:30 p.m. Monday followed by a regular meeting at 7 p.m. Monday in Village Hall, 100 Main St.
• The town Zoning Board of Appeals will meet at 7 p.m. Tuesday in Room 7B in Town Hall.
• The town Planning Board will conduct a work session at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, followed by a regular meeting at 7 p.m. Wednesday, in Room 7B in Hamburg Town Hall, 6100 South Park Ave.
• The Hamburg village Recreation Commission will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday at the Youth Center, 200 Prospect Ave.
• The Hamburg village Zoning Board of Appeals will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday at Village Hall.
• Housing Opportunities Made Equal, HOME, will conduct office hours from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. Wednesday at the town Department of Community Development, 6122 South Park Ave.