Share this article

print logo

Kitchen grease fire spreads, destroys Fruit Belt home

Three people escaped safely from a house fire in the city’s Fruit Belt neighborhood early this morning.

The fire started in a first floor kitchen when an occupant attempted to put out a grease fire with water, Battalion Chief James Hynes said at the scene. The fire took off through the house spreading up through the attic.

Firefighters responded to the alarm shortly after 6 a.m. and arrived to find fire shooting through the roof of the two-story house at 71 Locust St., according to Buffalo fire personnel.

Fire officials said there were no apparent injuries. The three people who escaped are being assisted by the American Red Cross. Damage estimates were unavailable, but appears to be a total loss.