Share this article

print logo

Albert Aldrich, longtime Franciscan friar

April 23, 1929 – Jan. 24, 2015

Albert Aldrich, a longtime Franciscan friar, died Jan. 24 at Holy Name Friary, Ringwood, N.J. He was 85.

Born in Lackawanna, Brother Aldrich was baptized Francis at the Basilica of Our Lady of Victory in Lackawanna and graduated from Holy Family School in Buffalo. He attended Mount Carmel College Seminary for one year before considering life as a friar minor.

He was received into the Order of Friars Minor on Jan. 22, 1949, at St. Bonaventure Friary in Paterson, N.J., and professed first vows there one year later. During his formation from 1950 to 1953, he served as a cook at several of the province’s friaries. Brother Aldrich professed solemn vows on Jan. 23, 1953, at Christ the King Seminary in Allegany.

A friar for over 65 years, his first assignment was to Holy Cross Friary in Callicoon, where he worked as a cook from 1954 to 1958.

Afterward, he moved to New York City, where he spent the next 35 years. Brother Aldrich served in various services at St. Stephen of Hungary Friary on 82nd Street, working as a porter, cook and procurator, assisting at the parish, and serving as associate director of the St. Jude apostolate.

In 1972, he worked at St. Francis of Assisi Church on West 31st Street, where he served as porter and procurator. After 13 years, he returned to St. Stephen Friary in 1985 for a few months, serving as vicar. In October, he returned to St. Francis Church, where he coordinated the historic St. Francis Breadline and was director of the Mass Office, overseeing some of the administrative tasks of the parish.

In 1993, Brother Aldrich left New York City and moved to Boston, where he was vicar of St. Anthony Residence, one of the province’s retirement friaries.

He was appointed guardian there in 1996 and served until he was reassigned in 2002 to St. Francis Chapel and Ministry Center in Providence, R.I.

He retired to St. Anthony Residence in 2006, and when the residence closed in 2012, he moved to the province’s retirement friary in St. Petersburg, Fla. He remained there for only a few months before transferring to Holy Name Friary in Ringwood.

He is survived by his brother, Edwards.

A Mass of Christian Burial was offered Thursday.

There are no comments - be the first to comment