Share this article

print logo

Buffalo man admits guilt in shooting of teen, 3-year-old

A Buffalo man who fired gunshots into a crowd last year – wounding a 14-year-old boy and also a 3-year-old toddler riding his tricycle – admitted his guilt Monday to several criminal charges in State Supreme Court.

Angelo Pulliam, 19, pleaded guilty as charged to one count of attempted second-degree murder in the teenager’s shooting, two counts of first-degree assault in the shooting of both victims and two counts of criminal possession of a weapon.

The plea came just before jury selection for a trial of Pulliam in the May 12 shootings on Fennimore Avenue in the city’s Bailey-Kensington neighborhood.

Pulliam had faced up to 25 years in prison on each of the attempted-murder and assault counts, up to 15 years on one of the weapon charges and up to seven years on the other weapon count.

But Justice M. William Boller said he would cap the sentence at 15 years in prison and five years of postrelease supervision since the plea spared the two young victims the trauma of a trial.

The judge ordered Pulliam remanded to the Erie County Holding Center without bail, pending sentencing Feb. 27.

Pulliam, who was 18 at the time of the shootings, fired a .40-caliber handgun into the crowd around 8:25 p.m. in retaliation for a shooting two days earlier on Roebling Avenue, according to prosecutors.

Jamal Sanders, 14, who was standing on the sidewalk with some friends, suffered bullet wounds to the neck, back and leg.

Police said a stray bullet hit the toddler in the chest as he was riding his tricycle on the sidewalk near his grandfather’s house.

Both Jamal and the 3-year-old were hospitalized in critical condition but have recovered, prosecutors said.

After the shootings, Pulliam ran to a vehicle that had earlier dropped him off on Davidson Avenue, which runs parallel to Fennimore, and the vehicle took off, police said.

Pulliam was arrested June 1 at his Thornton Avenue home, where police also seized a defaced loaded gun that had not been used in the shooting.

Assistant District Attorneys John P. Feroleto and Patrick B. Shanahan prosecuted the case.

email: jstaas@buffnews.com