Share this article

print logo

Grain dryer fire in Wyoming County causes $300,000 in damage

GAINSVILLE – A grain dryer fire caused $300,000 damage early Friday morning, according to the Wyoming County Office of Emergency Services.

The fire started in the grain dryer at T.J. Marquart & Sons, 5195 Route 19, officials said.

Firefighters, who were on the scene for eight hours, prevented further damage to other storage bins close to the burning grain dryer. An estimated 25,000 bushels of corn were lost in the fire, which was caused by a malfunction of the dryer burner, officials said.

Gainesville, North Java, Silver Springs, Perry, Bliss, Pike, Castile and Warsaw fire companies responded to the scene.