ALMOND – A fire caused by a malfunctioning chimney destroyed a man’s cabin on County Road 11 about 4 a.m. today, Almond Fire Chief Andrew Hulbert said.
The 20-by-20-foot cabin was a total loss, but the resident and his dog escaped without injury and are being aided by the Red Cross, Hulbert said. The cabin was the man’s home.
Hulbert said the man reported putting more wood in his wood-burning stove at about 2 a.m., and awoke about two hours later to find the wall on fire.
Firefighters from the Almond, Andover, Alfred Station and Arkport fire companies responded to the scene, with North Hornell firefighters placed on standby duty, Hulbert said.