Share this article

print logo

Lockport men sent to prison for violent attacks

LOCKPORT – Niagara County Judge Sara Sheldon Farkas imposed a 10-year prison sentence Wednesday on a Lockport man who, in separate incidents, stabbed one man and beat another with a baseball bat.

Jason T. Clark, 40, of New York Street, pleaded guilty to one count of attempted first-degree assault to settle both cases.

“He has a history of violent assaults,” Farkas said, apparently referring to the 15-year prison term Clark was given in 1993 for a beating and a robbery. Besides the prison term, she imposed five years of post-release supervision.

Deputy District Attorney Doreen M. Hoffmann said Clark “beat a man to a bloody pulp” with a bat Feb. 7 on Juniper Street in Lockport.

The stabbing occurred Feb. 23 outside the Big Lots store on South Transit Road in the Town of Lockport, an attack Hoffmann called “completely unprovoked.”

Court-appointed defense attorney Arthur E. Jackson said words were exchanged in the store between the eventual stabbing victim and a man Clark was with. The victim waited for Clark and his friend to emerge, the altercation was renewed, and Clark intervened with a small knife.

Hoffmann said the victim was stabbed in the chest under the left arm. She said the man has “significant post-traumatic stress” and doesn’t feel safe, even at home.

Lamont C. Washington, 25, of Cottage Street, was sentenced to five years behind bars and five years of post-release supervision for second-degree assault.

Quentin Holliday, 21, of Locust Street was sentenced to five years’ probation to begin with six months in jail, which he has already served. However, he remains in jail until December for violating probation on a previous conviction.

Farkas said there was a “pileup” outside the restaurant, and three people were stabbed.

One of them was Washington, defense attorney Ann Nichols said. He was cut “all the way down his left arm,” and required surgery for severed tendons.

Washington was charged with stabbing another man in the hand and another in the back, puncturing a lung.