Buffalo News polls
State classification in parentheses; first-place votes in brackets; LW-last week; *-tie in votes.
Team (Class) Rec. Pts. LW
1. Canisius  8-0 100 1
2. Jamestown (AA) 7-1 90 2
3. Sweet Home (A) 7-1 79 3
4. Orchard Park (AA) 7-1 69 4
5. South Park (A) 7-1 52 5
6. Williamsville North (A) 7-1 51 7
7. West Seneca East (A) * 7-1 34 9
7. Bishop Timon-St. Jude * 6-2 34 6
9. Hamburg (A) 6-2 17 NR
10. Kenmore West (AA) 5-1 11 NR
Others receiving votes (with points): St. Francis 7, Williamsville South (A) 6.
Team (Class) Rec. Pts. LW
1. Bennett (B)  8-0 98 1
2. Maple Grove/CL (C)  8-0 90 2
3. Burgard (B) 7-1 81 3
4. Maryvale (B) 7-1 63 5
5. Randolph (D) 7-1 62 6
6. Cheektowaga (B) 6-2 51 7
7. Cleveland Hill (C) 6-2 35 9
8. Southwestern (C) 6-2 23 NR
9. Depew (B) 6-2 21 4
10. Silver Creek/Forest (C) 7-1 14 NR
Others receiving votes (with points): St. Mary’s 11, Ellicottville/Franklinville/West Valley 1.
• CONNOLLY CUP: The ADPRO Week Eight top performers are: Sam Castronova (Williamsville South), Zak Ciezki (Cheektowaga), John Dolac (West Seneca East), Terrell Ford (Kenmore West), Marshawn Gibson (Cheektowaga), Kraig Gilbert (Silver Creek/Forestville), Mitch Gomolka (Hamburg), Lyle Grant (Alden), Marcus Hampton (Burgard), Jerry Hickson (St.Francis), Ryan Miller (Maple Grove/CL), Dillon Janca (Orchard Park), Phalla Musall (Fran/Ell/West Valley), Hunter Peterson (Southwestern) and Alex Suchan (Hamburg). Coaches are encouraged to send nominations via email to: email@example.com.
• TRENCH TROPHY: The Week Eight Linemen are: Justin Anderson (St. Francis), Joe DeGrood (Hamburg), Alex Delity (Ellicottville/Franklinville/West Valley), Jared Gasz (Iroquois), Mike Kenefick (Canisius) and Dylan Robinson (Silver Creek). Coaches can nominate players by contacting Carl Kuras via: www.trenchtrophy.com.
The 12th Trench Trophy banquet is Dec. 2 at the Lancaster Elks at 6 p.m. The banquet will honor the Top 10 finalists before awarding the Trench Trophy to the best lineman in WNY. NFL Hall of Famer Joe DeLamielleure has been added to the head table as a speaker and presenter. Joe “D,” as well as coach Jim McNally, will be featured at the podium as well as other distinguished guests.
• UNDERCLASSMEN OF THE WEEK: The Jim Kelly Football Camp honorees for Week Eight are: junior running back Zacc Kinsey of Jamestown (offense) and junior linebacker Charles Beach of Medina (defense).
• COACH OF THE WEEK: The Week Eight NFL/Buffalo Bills honoree is: Pat Cauley of Hamburg. The Bulldogs trailed 27-9 at halftime and came back to beat Williamsville South in overtime to move onto the Class A semifinals.
• The Section VI boys soccer playoffs continue today with semifinals in Class AA at Hamburg and Class C at Pioneer. The winners of the Class AA and C play on Saturday at Hamburg. On Wednesday, Class B-1 (7:30) and Class B-2 (5 p.m.) plays its finals, both at Hamburg. There are two more finals on Thursday as Class A-1 (7:30) and Class A-2 (5 p.m.) compete at Hamburg. The Class D final is Saturday at Hamburg at 10 a.m.
The All-Catholics A Division semifinals are Thursday. In a pair of 3:30 p.m. games, Nichols is at St. Joe’s and St. Francis is at Canisius. The winners play for the title on Sunday at Niagara University at 2 p.m.
• The Section VI girls soccer playoffs are down to their final four. On Tuesday, semifinal games will be played at Depew in Class AA at 5:30 and 7:30, Class B at Amherst at 5:30 and 7:30 and Class C at Pioneer at 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. On Wednesday, Depew will host semifinals games in Class A at 5:30 and 7:30. The finals in all classes are Friday and Saturday. Pioneer will host the Class C final (5 p.m.) and Class D (7 p.m.) on Friday. In Class D, Ellicottville and Maple Grove meet at Pioneer at 7:30 on Friday. The Class AA, A and B finals are Saturday at Amherst at 2 p.m., 4:30 p.m. and 7 p.m.
• The Section VI boys volleyball tournament begins today with five Class B qualifying matches. There are eight prequarterfinals matches on Tuesday and four quarterfinals on Thursday. In Class A, its tournament begins with three quarterfinals on Thursday followed by the two semifinal matches on Saturday at Lackawanna.
• The Section VI girls volleyball tournament has quarterfinal action in all classes on Tuesday at the higher seed, all at 6 p.m. All the semifinals are Thursday. The finals are Nov. 3-5 at Lockport.
• The Section VI cross country championships are Friday at Sunshine Park, 1600 East and West Road in West Seneca. The first of eight races answers the gun at 11 a.m.
The All-Catholic cross country championships are Sunday at Knox Farms in East Aurora.
The girls varsity race is at 10:30 a.m. followed by the boys varsity race at 11 a.m. The winning team and next best three runners (a total of 10 athletes) advance to the Federation championships.