From Friday Night Lights to Saturday afternoon homecoming games, BuffaloNews.com is the place to keep track of all of Western New York’s football action.
Review our #PrepTalkLive coverage from this weekend’s games at the Prep Talk blog, including interviews from Hamburg’s come-from-behind victory in a Section VI Class A quarterfinal game over Williamsville South, Cheektowaga’s playoff win over Depew and Burgard’s dismantling of Class B quarterfinal foe Fredonia. Our scoreboard page also has additional details from several games.
Check out photo galleries from this weekend’s games and look at past galleries capturing riveting images from the just-completed regular season. Review video and audio interviews from select games from the season and also check out the selection of preseason interviews with coaches and players from various programs throughout Western New York at BuffaloNews.com.
• Junior Jason Shuttleworth nailed a 37-yard field goal as time expired to force overtime, and senior teammate Mitchell Gomolka capped a 218-yard rushing day by bullying his way in from the 2 for the game-winning touchdown in Hamburg’s 40-34 playoff win at Williamsville South.
• Sophomore QB Jerry Hickson passed for 215 yards giving him 1,891 for the season and added his 18th TD pass as St. Francis got back on the winning track with a 46-20 triumph over host St. Mary’s.
• Senior linebacker Ken Williams had 10 tackles to break the school record for most tackles in a career with 201 to highlight Nichols’ 20-6 win over Sherman/Clymer.
• Junior Terrell Ford rushed for 267 yards and scored twice as Kenmore West advanced to the Class AA final four with a 41-21 victory over Lancaster.
• Burgard put on a defensive clinic, limiting Fredonia to just 73 yards during a 32-0 rout of the Hillbillies in a Class B quarterfinal.
• JoJo Ortiz had 10 tackles and Jerell Rolling added six and four sacks as Cheektowaga’s defense seized control and ended Depew’s reign as Section VI Class B champion, 41-24.
• John Dolac rushed for 200 yards and three TDs as West Seneca East rallied for a 25-14 win over North Tonawanda in a Class A quarterfinal.
• Kraig Gilbert rushed for 223 yards during Silver Creek/Forestville’s 32-14 win over Gowanda.
How they fared
1. Canisius (8-0): beat Timon/St. Jude, 37-8. Next: at St. Francis.
2. Jamestown (7-1): beat Lockport, 55-0. Next: TBA.
3. Sweet Home (7-1): beat McKinley, 44-6. Next: West Seneca East.
4. Orchard Park (7-1): beat Niagara Falls, 40-13. Next: TBA.
5. South Park (6-1): beat Starpoint, 20-12. Next: vs. Hamburg.
6. Timon/St. Jude (6-2): lost to Canisius, 37-8. Next: vs. St. Joe’s.
7. Williamsville North (7-1): beat Frontier, 33-0. Next: at Jamestown.
8. Williamsville South (6-2): lost to Hamburg, 40-34 (OT). Next: season over.
9. West Seneca East (7-1): beat North Tonawanda, 25-14. Next: at Sweet Home.
10. North Tonawanda (5-3): lost to West Seneca East, 25-14. Next: season over.
1. Bennett (8-0): beat Medina, 42-6. Next: vs. Burgard.
2. Maple Grove/Chautauqua Lake (8-0): beat Lackawanna, 45-0. Next: vs. Silver Creek/Forestville.
3. Burgard (7-1): beat Fredonia, 32-0. Next: vs. Bennett.
4. Depew (6-2): lost to Cheektowaga, 41-24. Next: season over.
5. Maryvale (7-1): beat East Aurora, 7-0. Next: at Cheektowaga.
6. Randolph (7-1): beat Frewsburg, 49-0. Next: vs. Panama.
7. Cheektowaga (6-2): beat Depew, 41-24. Next: vs. Maryvale.
8. St. Mary’s (5-3): lost to St. Francis, 46-20. Next: at Cardinal O’Hara.
9. Cleveland Hill (6-2): beat Salamanca, 24-6. Next: vs. Southwestern.
10. Fredonia (5-3): lost to Burgard, 32-0. Next: season over.
Section VI playoff matchups
Times will be finalized today.
Class AA Wmsv. North at Jamestown, 7 p.m, Friday Orchard Park at Kenmore West, 2 p.m. Saturday
Hamburg at South Park, 7 p.m., Friday
W. Seneca East at Sweet Home, 2 p.m. Saturday
Burgard at Bennett, 2 p.m., Saturday
Maryvale at Cheektowaga, 7 p.m., Saturday
Silver Creek at Maple Grove/CL, 7 p.m., Friday Southwestern at Cleveland Hill, 2 p.m., Saturday
Panama at Randolph, 7 p.m., Friday
Catt./LV at Frank/Ellicottville, 7 p.m., Friday
Westfield/Brocton at Portville, 7 p.m., Friday
Sherman/Cly. at Frewsburg, 7:30 p.m., Friday