Share this article

print logo

Washington school shooting leaves 2 dead, 3 in very critical condition

MARYSVILLE, Wash. – Two people, including a student gunman, died at Marysville-Pilchuck High School north of Seattle on Friday morning and three young people are in very critical condition, officials say.

The injured were taken to Providence Regional Medical Center in Everett, Wash., said chief medical officer Dr. Joanne Roberts. The campus shooting left three people – two females and one male – in very critical condition with gunshots to the head. They were either in surgery or awaiting surgery, she said.

A fourth person, a 14-year-old boy, was transferred to Harborview Medical Center, Roberts said, because he did not have life-threatening injuries.

Police Cmdr. Robert Lamoureux said the shooter, whose name has not been released, died after firing multiple rounds inside the high school in Marysville at around 10:40 a.m. Washington time.

Lamoureux said authorities are “confident” that the shooter, who was not identified, acted alone.

Lamoureux offered no details about a possible motive for the attack, and said police worked to clear students from the building. The school said in a statement that students were evacuated to a nearby church and would be bused home.

A sophomore student, who had been evacuated to the church, said someone pulled a fire alarm and students began to evacuate to the stadium, as is their drill. But, she said, students were running out of the cafeteria shouting, “Go back to the classroom, someone’s got a gun.”

Megan, 15, who asked that her last name not be used, said she and others ran into a language arts classroom close to the cafeteria where they stayed for about an hour and half, keeping away from windows.

“I saw some kids running, and they looked terrified,” Megan said. “They were pretty shaken up. They said they saw blood and the shooter was from the freshman football team.”

Kris Olsoy, 17, a senior, said several girls rushed into his classroom from the cafeteria, crying.

“Our teacher locked the doors,” Olsoy said. “We were all in one corner away from the window.”

Olsoy said he texted his parents and “we just texted everyone to stay calm.” At one point police knocked at the door, asked how many students were inside and returned in minutes to escort them to buses for evacuation to the church.

Police were dispatched to the high school after receiving a 911 call from inside the building. Officers from the Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office and the FBI were called to the area, according to representatives of both agencies.

Marysville, with a population of 60,000, is about 35 miles north of Seattle. The shooting is the second to rock a Seattle-area campus in the last five months. In June, a gunman opened fire at Seattle Pacific University, killing one student and injuring three others.