Here's our second attempt at doing this as the first one disappeared into cyber space as I hit the publish button.
In any event, we came oh, so close to perfection -- me and the other voters -- as we saw eye to eye on 1-8 in the Large School balloting and just missed out on No. 10 of having an identical Small School poll.
Without further adieu, here's the post Canisius-Jamestown football poll. Here's how The News voted.
2. Jamestown: Red Raiders not only get rewarded for scheduling up but the state's No. 3 Class AA team hung tough with state No. 1 Canisius, which won its first three games by average of more than 38 points. They made Crusaders work for (and sweat out) 13-point win. Jamestown showed it could make plays against a hard-hitting, in-your-face team like Canisius and that should help the Red Raiders come playoff time.
3. Orchard Park: Not bad. Not bad at all. Terius Wheatley turns homecoming into super breakout game, as 83- and 72-yard touchdown runs enable Quakers to seize early momentum against McDowell. Matt Perla and OP defense force timely turnovers (four of them, including three in OP territory) to limit Trojans to just 14 points.
4. Williamsville North: Class of Class AA North Division. Three shutouts in four games.
5. Sweet Home: Week 7 matchup at home against Williamsville South will likely decide Class A North Division.
6. Williamsville South: After three close shaves, Billies enjoy comfortable-margin-of-victory in comforts of District Field.
7. Hamburg: Averaging 38.5 points per game. Hit road for first time Saturday when Bulldogs bring their offensive show to All High in a key clash against reigning Class A South champion South Park.
8. South Park: A win over Hamburg on Saturday increases likelihood of a division-championship repeat. Sparks already beat third-place West Seneca East. Only division games against old Harvard Cup friends East and McKinley remain.
9. Frontier: Break up the Falcons. Three straight wins since suffering pasting to OP in Week One.
10. St. Francis: Close loss in final minutes doesn't mean Red Raiders aren't worthy of Top 10 spot.
SMALL SCHOOL POLL
1. Depew: Still king of the mountain although Maryvale almost knocked them from the top perch.
2. Burgard: Bulldogs have yielded just 49 points heading into Class B North tilt at Bennett on Friday.
3. Bennett: Oh yeah? Well Tigers have outscored foes 198-33 heading into matchup of old Harvard Cup friends.
4. Maple Grove/CL: Treating teams like the salt of the earth. Dragons have outscored their foes, 172-19.
5. Cheektowaga: One late-game miscue (or big play by Niagara Falls) away from being 4-0 heading into Friday's key Class B Central clash at fellow division unbeaten Depew.
6. Randolph: Two-time defending state champions still the top dog in Class D in state poll.
7. Southwestern: What if both Jamestown schools made a deep playoff run?
8. Olean: Huskies bring 4-0 record into key division clash Friday at East Aurora/Holland.
9. Maryvale: Had chance to beat Depew but Wildcats crew filled with big-game experience pulled it out in fourth quarter.
10. East Aurora/Holland: Have won three straight heading into Friday's key Class B South showdown with Olean.