Share this article

print logo

Aug. 26, 1959: Marketing the Broadway Market with free parking

Through the 1950s, as suburban shopping plazas and malls began to make an impact in the retailing habits of Buffalonians at the cost of downtown shopping, the Broadway-Fillmore area marketed itself as the best of both worlds.

Advertised as "Buffalo's Midtown Shopping Center with Plaza Parking!," it had a well-established, impressive list of stores, headed by Sattler’s at 998 Broadway. And after a new Broadway Market was built in 1956, the area also had a 1,000 car parking ramp, free to shoppers.

The market itself, touted as “the finest, biggest market in the Eastern USA,” also made good use of the ramp. Forty-three different vendors could validate your two-hour parking pass.

The ads for the Broadway Market and the Broadway-Fillmore shopping district were on adjacent pages in The News on this day 55 years ago.

26 aug 1959 broadway market big

 

 

26 aug 1959 broadway fillmore free parking

There are no comments - be the first to comment