Welcome to Buffalo Matt Hague. The two-time International League All-Star with Indianapolis makes his Bisons debut tonight, playing third and batting sixth as the Herd closes out a two-game series with the Rochester Red Wings tonight.
Hague drove in 66 runs in 93 games with the Indians this year including 14 home runs. The offense will be welcomed after the Bisons looked beleaguered in their 7-2 loss Tuesday to the Red Wings. The Herd managed eight hits but failed to generate much with runners in scoring position.
The loss was painful from a playoff race stance as well. The Bisons fell three games behind Pawtucket for the lone Wild Card spot in the International League.
Other notes for tonight's 7:05 first pitch:
- Outfielder Dalton Pompey was promoted from Double-A New Hampshire. Rated the N0. 17 prospect in the Blue Jays organization by Baseball America before the season, Pompey hit .295 and drove in 12 runs in 31 games with the FisherCats.
- Meanwhile, outfielder Jared Goedert and infielder Andy LaRoche were placed on the Bisons disabled list.
- Lefty Brad Mills makes his fourth start for the Herd tonight. In his last outing for the Bisons, he worked 2 2/3 shutout innings on Aug. 7 taking a no-decision. He had his contracted selected by Toronto and made one relief appearance for the Blue Jays on Aug. 11. He worked 2 1/3 innings giving up five runs on three hits with three walks.
- Rochester counters with righty Alex Meyer making is 25th start for the Red Wings. Meyer has struggled in his last two outings, going 0-2 allowing six earned runs over 5 2/3 innings allowing 12 hits (four extra base hits) with five walks. He ranks second in the International League with 139 strikeouts.
- The hot bat for Buffalo has been Brett Wallace. He went 3 for 4 last night and is hitting .368 in his last five games. His 13 home runs rank second on the Herd this season.
Tonight's Bisons' lineup:
Darin Mastroianni -- LF
Anthony Gose -- CF
Cole Gillespie -- RF
Dan Johnson -- 1B
Brett Wallace -- DH
Matt Hague -- 3B
Ryan Goins -- SS
George Kottaras -- C
Jonathan Diaz -- 2B