Bills Hall of Fame quarterback Jim Kelly is back in New York City for biopsies to determine whether he will need further treatment. He has already undergone a series of chemotherapy and radiation treatments for cancerous tumors in his head and a physical exam showed those treatments have been effective, but doctors are awaiting biopsy results.
Here is a timeline of Kelly's cancer battle:
- Today, Aug. 28: Jill Kelly posts on Instagram: "They just took Jim into the operating room for his biopsies. We're waiting in the hospital room that carries so many memories. Hard being here. But as I scrolled through my photos this was the reminder I needed. Jim is brave. He's tough. But he still needs God to fight for him. The. Lord. WILL. Fight. For. You. Banking on this! #prayersforJK #kellytough"
- Aug. 20: Great news for Kelly on latest exam. The great news is that upon physical examination, there is no evidence of the cancer,” said Dr. Peter D. Costantino, executive director of Lenox Hill Hospital’s New York Head and Neck Institute.
- Aug. 19: Jill Kelly posts on Facebook: "It's scan day...We fly to New York City this afternoon to do all the scans etc. to find out whether or not the treatments worked.
I'm asking God to make my faith greater than my fear.
I know that HE ALREADY KNOWS THE OUTCOME!
So I'm trusting what I don't know to the ONE who knows!
The One who is GOOD...all the time and works ALL THINGS TOGETHER FOR GOOD!Please PRAY!
- Aug. 18. Jill Kelly tweets " Extra # today and tomorrow please!!!"
- Aug. 3: Jim Kelly does the coin toss for Bills Hall of Fame game in Canton, Ohio.
- Aug. 2: Jim Kelly talks about cancer battle while attending Pro Football Hall of Fame induction for teammate Andre Reed. “I just wake up each and every day and say my prayers and hopefully, when they look at the scans, there’s not going to be anything there.”
- Aug. 1: Jerry Sullivan: Jim Kelly wouldn't miss Andre's big day for the world Jilly Kelly says Andre Reed has been there for Jim Kelly during his cancer battle. “Andre was at the hospital. He was at the house the day we flew to New York City. He came to New York and again when we got back. Every time Andre was there, Jim was down and out, struggling. It was a given that Jim was going to be at the Hall of Fame.”
- July 9: Bucky Gleason: Kelly at his best battling cancer. Kelly talks about support he's gotten from other cancer patients in appearance at 27th Jim Kelly football camp. “My hat goes off to the people going through it. There are people who are a lot worse than I am. I don’t know where I’m going to be. I’ll find out in August. I pray for the other people.”
- June 21: Jerry Sullivan: Kelly's words carry a valuable lesson.
- June 19: Just two weeks removed from a battery of chemotherapy and radiation treatments, Jim Kelly gives Bills an emotional surprise pep talk at end of final spring practice.
- June 5: Jim Kelly helps with planning for annual football camp from his hospital bed.
- June 1: Cancer battle keeps Kelly from attending celebrity golf tournament fund-raiser.
- May 15: Dehydration puts Kelly back in hospital.
- May 15: Despite feeding tube and constant pain, Kelly toughs it out. Kelly says "it was tough for me" in the beginning to get the news he needed a feeding tube. "Then I thought, my son had it." Kelly at that time was awaiting eight more radiation treatments and one more course of chemotherapy.
- May 4: Kelly weak from treatments, but pain has lessened. Past the midpoint of treatment, Kelly returns to hospital, but says his pain has lessened significantly.
- April 25: Jerry Sullivan: Jim Kelly says there's no place like home. Kelly decides to continue treatment in Buffalo, rather than New York City.
- March 31: Details of Kelly's cancer emerge. Kelly says he is in agonizing pain. His cancer is comprised of “rather countless microscopic” tumors and has spread up his infraorbital nerve and “is dangerously close to the carotid artery in his head.” according to Peter King of Sports Illustrated, who interviewed Kelly at Manhattan's Lenox Hill Hospital.
- March 26: Doctor says Kelly's cancer is 'very treatable.'
- March 26: Jim Kelly won't have surgery, will undergo chemotherapy and radiation. Update posted by Jilly Kelly on Facebook.
- March 14: Jim Kelly's oral cancer returns Kelly, 54, diagnosed with cancer again, nine months after having surgery to remove cancer from his mouth and jaw.
- July 14, 2013: Jim Kelly throws out first pitch at Bisons game, says he's making progress after June 7 cancer surgery.
- June 24, 2013: Jim Kelly announces he is cancer-free.
- June 8, 2013: Jim Kelly's cancer surgery called a success
- June 7, 2013: Jim Kelly resting comfortably at ECMC after surgery. Kelly had left side of his jaw and the teeth on that side of his mouth removed.
- June 3, 2013: Jim Kelly sees jawbone cancer as 'another river to cross'
- June 3, 2013: Kelly confident he will beat cancer.
- May: An emotional Jim Kelly discusses his cancer battle. [bn_ndn id=26097817]
- July: An emotional Jim Kelly talks to campers at his summer football camp. [bn_ndn id=26399729]