Town of Tonawanda
An evening of fireworks, live music and a ceremony honoring the town’s Korean War veterans is planned for Thursday at the veterans’ memorial in Kenney Field.
The event begins at 6:30 p.m. with the dedication of a Blue Star Memorial Marker donated by the Kenmore Garden Club and the Eighth District Federation Garden Clubs of New York State. Next, Korean War veterans will be presented with Certificates of Appreciation.
Finally, a two-hour concert of patriotic tunes by the 80-piece American Legion Band of the Tonawandas will begin at 7:30 p.m., followed by a fireworks display at about 10 p.m. The rain date is Saturday.
• A work session of the Kenmore Village Board begins at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday in the mayor’s office at the Municipal Building. A regular meeting follows at 8 in Council Chambers.
• The Kenmore-Town of Tonawanda School Board holds its organizational meeting at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday in the community room of the Philip Sheridan Building, 3200 Elmwood Ave.
• The town Planning Board meets at 7 p.m. Wednesday in Room 21 of the Municipal Building, 2919 Delaware Ave. The agenda includes a final site plan review of the proposed expansion by Unifrax, which wants to build a 40,230-square-foot addition on Fire Tower Drive. The Town Board last week approved the sale of some town-owned land to Unifrax to make way for the expansion.
• Ken-Ton Closet, at 169 Sheridan Parkside Drive, is seeking volunteers to work from 1 to 3:30 p.m. and 6 to 8 p.m. on the second Thursday of every month. Volunteers assist families in selecting items and also sort and hang clothing. Contact Jill O’Malley at email@example.com or 218-9589 to sign up. The Closet provides school supplies, toiletries, new and gently used clothing to children in the Ken-Ton School District at no charge.
• E-ZPass tags are now available in the town clerk’s office in the Municipal Building for $25. The tags allow drivers to use E-ZPass lanes at all state Thruway toll booths, and are recognized in 14 other states. Tags are available for purchase during regular office hours, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. weekdays.