Swimmers with a yen to teach can sign up for new swim instructor training and certification, designed by the town’s Recreation Department and approved by the state Department of Health.
The program, open to residents and non-residents alike, was two years in the making and may be the first of its kind to offer an alternative to Red Cross swim instructor training.
“From our perspective, this is something that’s pretty big,” said Recreation Director Ed Leak.
People can sign up individually and any Western New York center that offers swim lessons can send instructors to Orchard Park for certification. “This will add more credibility to agency’s aquatic program and raise the standard from which they’ll teach by,” Leak said.
The 10-hour series of instructor lessons has room for 12 people and costs $150. It debuts July 28-31; deadline for registration is July 18. Call 662-6450 for more information.
• The Orchard Park School Board will meet at 4 p.m. Tuesday in district offices, 2240 Southwestern Blvd., for its annual reorganization meeting and a regular business meeting.
• A meeting of the village Planning Board begins at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the first-floor conference room in the Municipal Center, 4295 South Buffalo St.
• The town’s Conservation Board meets at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the basement meeting room at the Municipal Center.
• The Town Board will hear a report from the Senior Task Force at 5:15 p.m. Wednesday in the supervisor’s office at the Municipal Center. A regular meeting starts at 7 p.m.
• The 17th annual Thomas A. Gardner memorial walk and run will be held at 7 p.m. Thursday at Green Lake/Yates Park. Go to tommysrun.org for more information.
• Registration closes Friday at the Senior Center, 70 Linwood Ave., for the 24th annual Senior Games, which are scheduled for July 7 - 11. Competitions include bocce, pool shooting, ping pong and other games for people age 55 and older. For more information, call 662-6452.
• Fourth of July festivities begin at 8 p.m. Friday with a parade beginning at the high school. Music and fireworks start at dusk at the South Davis Street pavilion, between the Middle School and South Davis Elementary School. E-mail email@example.com for more information.