Here's an update on what's up with this year's Western New York Running Hall of Fame class.
The nominating committee on Wednesday night went through all those nominated, and then worked to get the list down to only 10 names. From there, the Board of Directors will make the second cut, and we'll have a maximum of five people who will be honored. Athletes, coaches and contributors are all under consideration.
The winners will be announced on May 25 - Marathon Sunday in Buffalo. Then they will be honored at the Champions 5K race on August 29. Speaking as a nominating committee member, I can safely say that several outstanding candidates were considered, as usual.
You can build your resume by running in this weekend's races, with the list courtesy of buffalorunners.com. Remember, winners of local races get a free entry into the Champions 5K. OK, enough of the free plug. Here's the rundown of a busy weekend:
* Buffalo Undy 5000, Delaware Park in Buffalo, 9 a.m. Saturday, (202) 628-0123 x104.
* Mathletes Cindy Frank Memorial 5K, 1339 Indian Church Road in West Seneca, 9 a.m. Saturday, 668-7081.
* Saps Run, 10K/5K, 31 N. Main St. in Franklinville, 9 a.m. Saturday, 372-8184. Note - the race title is not a comment on the participants. By the way, there is no entry fee, but a donation (food or financial) to the local food pantry is requested.
* UB Run for Smiles, 5K, 3435 Main St. in Buffalo, 10 a.m. Saturday, (585) 507-1898. This event will start and end at the Health Sciences Library quad at UB.
* Run Forest Run 5K, 250 N. Forest Road in Williamsville, 10 a.m. Saturday, 545-7775. This will be held at Forest Elementary School.
* Envirun 5K, Whirlpool State Park in Niagara Falls, 10:30 a.m. Saturday, 858-7897. It's a new location for this race, with plenty of free parking.
* Earth Run, 5K, 12857 Route 438 in Irving, 11 a.m. Saturday.
* Laps for Limbs, 1 Hour Run, St. Francis High School in Athol Springs, 9 a.m. Sunday, (607) 435-8715. Run as far as you can on the St. Francis track to raise money for amputees.
Meanwhile, the SUNY Buffalo Law School race for Sunday morning has been cancelled. And I was going to run that one, too.
By the way, Sunday's running column has the story of a Boston Marathon runner who needed an extra year to get to the finish line. It's quite the dramatic ending.
-- Budd Bailey