Share this article

print logo

Taglianetti gets maximum sentence for murder of Clymer superintendent

Chautauqua County Judge John T. Ward sentenced Anthony “Rob” Taglianetti II today to 25 years to life in state prison for the 2012 shooting death of Clymer Central School Superintendent Keith L. Reed Jr.

“You devastated not only a family but a community,” Ward told Taglianetti. ”It is my fervent hope that you never again see the light of day as a free man.”

Taglianetti did not make a statement during the sentencing hearing.

“Taglianetti has given us a life sentence,” said Katelynn Olin, daughter of Keith Reed.

“It’s a tragedy any way you look at it,” Chautauqua County District Attorney David W. Foley said after the sentencing.

A jury of five women and seven men found Taglianetti, 43, guilty of second-degree murder last November. The verdict followed seven days of sometimes titillating testimony that included the reading back of lurid email exchanges between Reed and Taglianetti’s wife, Mary, who told jurors she had had a brief tryst with Reed in 2010 when she and her husband were separated.

Although the Taglianettis ended up reconciling, Reed and Mary Taglianetti reconnected again in 2012 in a long-distance romance by email, text message and telephone.

Prosecutors said Taglianetti was sent into a jealous rage after discovering one of the email exchanges. The former Marine drove 350 miles from his Woodbridge, Va., home and shot Reed once in the chest and twice in the back, authorities said.

Reed’s body was found in a hedgerow near his rural Clymer home, three days after he was last seen by friends and family.

Taglianetti, who did not testify at trial, received the maximum sentence.

The murder stunned the small, tight-knit Clymer community in southern Chautauqua County, where Reed, 51, was well-liked and respected.

Reed, a divorced father of three daughters, and Mary Taglianetti communicated by telephone, email and text messages for two or three months before having dinner together in an Albany restaurant in August of 2010. After finishing their meal, they drove around for a while. Then, they had sex in Reed’s car. It was the only time Mary Taglianetti and Reed met in person.

Mary Taglianetti decided to reconcile with her husband after her date with Reed, but in April 2012 she reconnected with the Clymer superintendent through Facebook. Soon, the pair again were emailing, calling and texting back and forth, Mary Taglianetti testified at the trial.

Rob Taglianetti discovered one of the sexually explicit emails when his wife accidentally left her account open and failed to delete the message.