By Keith McShea
Every week during the basketball season a panel of voters participates in The News' large and small school boys basketball polls, which are published in today's Scholastic Spotlight.
And every week we let you know, like the title says ... how The News voted. This is just one ballot -- there are nine other voters in each poll.
And here's this week's ballot (note: vote was put together before Monday's games). When next week's poll rolls around, all of a sudden we'll be in a busy month for hoops:
1. Canisius (11-2) [last week's ballot: 1] -- Still No. 1 by a full-court shot.
2. St. Joe's (9-6)  -- Close-ish call with Cardinal O'Hara was a little surprising, but certainly nothing that can overcome the wins over McKinley and at Timon.
3. McKinley (6-2)  -- Friday night at ECC-City for Middle Early College.
4. Bishop Timon-St. Jude (10-7)  -- Nice home win over Park Tuesday.
5. Williamsville North (8-3)  -- Game at Jamestown -- not until Feb. 10 -- will likely decide ECIC I crown after both went splitsville with Clarence.
6. Jamestown (8-4)  -- Loss at Clarence Friday night after beating the Red Devils at home by 30 (!). We're going with Euro-soccer aggregate score to decide this one ...
7. Clarence (9-3)  -- ... over the what-have-you-done-for-me-lately approach.
8. Amherst (11-1)  -- Have two games against Cheektowaga which could be tough. (Turns out Monday's was very tough).
9. Lockport (10-3)  -- Strong home win earns it driver's seat in Niagara Frontier League over ...
10. Kenmore West (9-3)  -- ... the Blue Devils, who host Niagara Falls Tuesday evening.
1. Olean (12-2)  -- Excellent performance at St. Mary's Tuesday.
2. East (10-3)  -- Lost at Franklin last week but we still see them as a clear No. 2 (Not-so-clear after this Monday's loss to Middle Early College).
3. St. Mary's (10-3)  -- Lancers lose at Iroquois, which is no great shame as the Chiefs are having a solid year. Still own a win over Park.
4. Park (8-8)  -- Big one today at Nichols.
5. Middle Early College (6-4)  -- Big week at the Flickinger Center: After East on Monday, it's McKinley Friday.
6. Nichols (9-7)  -- Heard they gave Canisius a pretty good run Saturday until late.
7. Fredonia (10-3)  -- Host Maple Grove tonight; won by just two a week or so ago.
8. Barker (12-0)  -- Quite a season for the Raiders.
9. Cleveland Hill (8-3) [NR] -- ECIC IV co-leader (with Holland) owns an early win over Salamanca, which beat Silver Creek last week. (Maple Grove also beat Silver Creek, knocking the Black Knights off our ballot for the first time this season).
10. Sherman (12-1)  -- First loss came to Randolph by six after it had beaten the Cardinals by five early on.
* * *
Don't like what you're reading? The comment space is below, our Twitter & email addresses are on the right side of the page, and our live chat will follow PrepTalkTV on Thursday night at around 8:15 p.m.