Distribution of garbage and recycling totes continues in the town, where a new recycling contract will take effect early next month.
The rollout of 95-gallon garbage totes and 65-gallon recycling totes, which began earlier this month, is expected to take between four and six weeks, according to Town Supervisor Sheila M. Meegan. Though the contract to buy the totes was awarded last August, the town needed to retrofit garbage trucks to lift them and adopt a new ordinance regarding their use.
On Jan. 17, the Town Board unanimously approved a one-year recycling contract with Modern Corporation of Buffalo. The contract also has four, one-year renewal options.
Recycling pickups will be done weekly, beginning the week of Feb. 3. Town officials will be monitoring recycling pickup in Cheektowaga, where officials opted for collection every other week because it’s less expensive.
Cheektowaga’s recycling totes are to be distributed this spring.
Also this week:
• The West Seneca School Board meets at 6:30 p.m. Monday in room 200 at West Elementary School, 1397 Orchard Park Road.
• The Town Board meets at 7 p.m. Monday in council chambers at Town Hall, 1250 Union Road.
• A benefit performance of “Disney Princess” will be performed at 6:30 p.m. Saturday in East Senior High School, 4760 Seneca St., to help victims of the Jan. 11 flood. Presented by West Seneca Youth Theatre, with help from the West Seneca School District, tickets are $5 – with all proceeds going to flood victims – and will be sold at the door. Raffles and concessions also will be featured.
• Doors open at 7 p.m. Saturday at Vigilant Fire Hall, 666 Main St., for a dance featuring live music by Crash Cadillac. Sponsored by Vigilant Fire Company and Sons of American Legion, Post 735, the event will benefit the fire company’s annual scholarship fund. Tickets are $15 per person or $25 per couple; contact Frank Sandor at 863-0369.
• “Historic Ebenezer,” an exhibit of photographs and artifacts, continues through Feb. 2 in Burchfield Nature & Art Center, 2001 Union Road. The center is open 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday through Friday, and 1 to 4 p.m. Sundays.