Share this article

Open for business
Find out the latest updates from local businesses as our region reopens.
print logo

Taglianetti, Reed met once, jurors told

MAYVILLE – They frequently traded nude pictures by text message and had erotic telephone conversations to stimulate each other sexually.

But for all of their electronic communication over the course of a few months in 2010 and another several months in 2012, Mary Taglianetti and Clymer School Superintendent Keith L. Reed Jr. met just a single time in person.

They went to a Cheesecake Factory in Albany. After finishing their meal, they drove around for a while. Then, they had sex in Reed’s car.

Reed returned Mary Taglianetti to her car at the restaurant parking lot, so she could get to her job as a health care aide.

They never held each other again.

Reed’s body was found Sept. 24, 2012, in a row of shrubs and trees outside his Clymer home, and Taglianetti’s husband, Anthony R. “Rob” Taglianetti II, 43, is on trial in Chautauqua County Court, accused of fatally shooting Reed.

For the second straight day, Mary Taglianetti was asked to recount in painstaking detail from the witness stand the origins and development of her affair with Reed, 51, as her now ex-husband sat mostly expressionless just a few yards way.

Defense lawyer Nathaniel Barone repeatedly questioned Mary Taglianetti, 36, about why she visited online dating sites and engaged in so-called “sexting” with Reed and other men, even though she had not legally separated from her husband in 2010.

Mary Taglianetti said she set up an account at after she left her husband in Virginia and moved in with her parents near Saratoga Springs in the spring of 2010.

“I just wanted a guy friend, and I wanted someone to talk to. I was lonely,” she told jurors.

After her tryst with Reed, Mary Taglianetti decided to reconcile with her husband. Reed, she said, had expressed interest in getting back together with his ex-girlfriend.

So Mary Taglianetti moved back to Virginia in September 2010, and she confessed to Rob Taglianetti about the affair.

“I wanted to be honest, if I was reconciling with him,” she said.

In 2011, Mary Taglianetti began chatting with two or three other men online, through instant messages and text messages, some of which became sexually graphic.

Without Reed, she said, “I resorted to other outside attention.” She also admitted no longer being committed to her marriage.

It wasn’t until the spring of 2012 – a year and a half after their parking lot affair – that she reconnected with Reed.

Mary Taglianetti tried to “friend” Reed on Facebook. And while he didn’t accept the friend request, he did send a message back soon after.

“He basically asked how I was, and I said I wasn’t happy in the marriage and I was kind of lonely,” she recalled.

Their online and telephone friendship – and romance – was quickly rekindled.

They conversed through emails, texts and phone calls, usually at about 9 p.m., when Reed was free after busy days at school. Mary Taglianetti said they talked about getting back together again.

And at one point during her testimony, she broke down briefly while recounting her longing to take her relationship with Reed to another level.

She grabbed a tissue and dabbed at her eyes as she acknowledged that she had wanted to see Reed more often in person.

On Aug. 6, 2012, Rob Taglianetti discovered an email exchange in which his wife mentioned the telephone sex she had with Reed the previous night. He stormed off and spent a few days visiting with friends in Connecticut.

Upon his return, Mary Taglianetti wrote a letter to her husband apologizing and expressing her love for him, signing it “Bunny,” the term of endearment he had used for her.

But when Barone asked her if she still wanted to be in the marriage, she responded: “I did and I didn’t. I didn’t know what I wanted.”

She then began to cry again when Barone asked if she wanted to be with Reed.

“Yes,” she said.