Share this article

print logo

Baxter makes layoffs at Medina facility

Baxter International, a health care products company, is laying off an undisclosed number of employees at its facility in Medina.

Details could not be obtained late Wednesday afternoon from representatives at Baxter’s Illinois-based headquarters.

James Whipple, chief executive officer of the County of Orleans Industrial Development Agency, said the layoff was “less than 100 people.” He declined to give a specific figure or elaborate on the reason for the layoffs, deferring to the company to share those details.

Whipple described the Baxter layoffs as “a business cycle adjustment, possibly until the second quarter of 2014.”

In 2009, Baxter entered into an agreement with Sigma International General Medical Apparatus in Medina for a 40 percent equity stake in Sigma, exclusive global distribution of its infusion pumps and an option to buy the remaining 60 percent of the company. The deal was worth $100 million.

Baxter exercised its option in April 2012, completing its purchase of Sigma for a cash payment of about $90 million.

Sigma’s owner bought the Medina facility, which was a former Fisher-Price factory, in the mid-1990s.

Baxter recorded net income of $2.3 billion on sales of $14.2 billion in 2012 and has about 50,800 employees.