The Fourth Annual Jill Farrar Mattice 5K Run/Fun Walk, hosted by the Cleveland Hill School District, will be held Saturday.
Mattice, a 1996 graduate of Cleveland Hill High School, died Jan. 20, 2010, when her State Police patrol car collided with a tractor trailer as she left an Otsego County school were she was assigned as a resource officer. She was the first female trooper to die while on the job.
Proceeds from the charity run benefit the Jill Mattice Scholarship Fund, which awards a $1,000 scholarship to a Cleveland Hill High School student interested in a career in law enforcement and criminal justice.
Saturday’s 5K run/2 mile fun walk starts at 11 a.m., with post-race activities beginning at about 11:30 on the high school grounds. Visit www.jillfarrarmatticebuffalo5k.com for more information.
Also this week:
• The Maryvale School Board meets at 6 p.m. Monday in the administration building board room, 1050 Maryvale Drive.
• A regular meeting of the Cheektowaga Central School Board begins at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the board room at 3600 Union Road.
• The Cheektowaga-Sloan School Board will meet at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday in the Irma Czubaj Board Room at Woodrow Wilson Elementary School, 166 Halstead Ave., Sloan.
• The Cheektowaga Chamber of Commerce annual awards dinner is Tuesday in the Millennium Hotel, 2040 Walden Ave. Cocktails will be served at 5:30 p.m., followed by dinner at 6. The public is invited to the event. Ticket are $45 and are available at the chamber’s office at 2875 Union Road, suite 50, or online at www.cheektowaga.org. Call 684-5838 for more information.
• A public meeting on a proposal to convert to full market value property assessments begins at 6 p.m. Wednesday in the Alexander Building, 275 Alexander Ave.
• The 13th Annual Fall Festival at Reinstein Woods Nature Preserve & Environmental Education Center, 93 Honorine Drive, off Como Park Boulevard, is scheduled for 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday. There will be live animal exhibits and myriad activities for adults and children. A $2 donation to Friends of Reinstein Nature Preserve is requested. For a complete list of activities, call Reinstein Woods at 683-5959 or visit www.dec.ny.gov and look under This Week’s Events.
• Donations of theme baskets, food and beverages are sought for “Rally for Ryan,” an Oct. 5 children’s event at The Buffalo Bills Healthy Zone Field House to benefit the family of Ryan Orlando, a Cheektowaga youth who suffered a severe traumatic brain injury in a December 2011 rollerblading accident. The event is scheduled for 3 to 8:30 p.m.; tickets are $20 and admission is free for children three and younger. Call Rachel Weaver at 799-5731 or Jessica Hunter at 512-5714 to buy tickets or make a donation.