ALBION – A correction officer at Orleans Correctional Facility was hospitalized last week after an apparent poisoning, the New York State Correctional Officers and Police Benevolent Association reported Sunday.
The officer, who was not identified, was taken to Medina Memorial Hospital after the incident Wednesday afternoon, then transferred to Buffalo General Medical Center, where he was treated for two days for pain in his mouth, throat, esophagus and stomach, the association said. It was uncertain when he would be able to return to work.
The association noted that the officer noticed burning in his throat and became violently ill after sipping from a store-bought beverage that he had been drinking throughout the day. Testing determined that acidity levels were three to five times higher than normal. An investigation is continuing.