Share this article

print logo

Hernandez probed in 2012 Boston slayings of 2 men

Bail has again been denied for ex-Patriot Aaron Hernandez, while Boston police said today they are probing the former NFL rising star in the slaying of two men in the South End last summer.

At his bail hearing, Judge Renee P. Dupuis said in Fall River Superior Court that the state's case is very strong, and the portrayal of Hernandez as a cold-blooded killer is so compelling, she can't allow him out on bail.

A dejected Hernandez was escorted out by burly guards, as his fiancee broke down in tears.

Prosecutor William McCauley told the judge that police last night also searched a Franklin condominium that Hernandez is renting, and a variety of ammunition was found in that condominium.

"Yesterday's search warrants that found three boxes of .45 caliber ammunition," and ammunition for a rifle, McCauley said.

Authorities also searched a Hummer registered to Hernandez at that condominium's address, and they found a clip for a .45 caliber firearm.

McCauley says he is a flight risk, and there's proof he took steps to destroy evidence.

"The case against him is strong, and he would be looking at a chance of life in prison without parole," he said.

Meanwhile, investigators are probing a possible connection between Hernandez and a double murder in Boston last summer and will be back at the jailed player’s North Attleboro home today.

Police tell the Herald Hernandez is being eyed in a double-murder July 15 of last year in the South End where two men were gunned down. A source adds detectives are seeking search warrants to go back into the player's North Attelboro home to search the premises.

Hernandez, 23, who is being held without bail on a murder charge in the killing of Odin L. Lloyd, 27, of Dorchester June 17, is now part of a renewed probe into last summer’s ambush on Shawmut Avenue and Herald Street, police said.

On July 15 last year, police were called to that intersection for a report of two “persons shot,” the Boston police blog states.

Upon arrival, police reported finding two men dead at the scene — Daniel Jorge Correia de Abreau, 29, and Safiro Teixeira Furtado, 28, both of Dorchester.

A cousin of Furtado said investigators have not talked to the family about any possible link to Hernandez.

"It's crazy. It's been almost two years," said the cousin, who gave only his first name, Edwin. "He was a good guy," he added of Furtado. "Danny was a good guy, too."

   

Developing ...

———

©2013 the Boston Herald

Visit the Boston Herald at www.bostonherald.com

Distributed by MCT Information Services

_____

Topics: t000002458,t000027866,t000149877,t000027879

There are no comments - be the first to comment