The popularity of backyard chicken coops continues to grow in the town, with the Zoning Board of Appeals scheduled to consider the latest request this week.
A Tampa Drive couple has applied for a variance for what is still a non-permitted use of property in residential zones. Their application indicates they are seeking permission to have chickens as pets and for the eggs they would produce.
Several variances have been granted in recent years.
The ZBA meeting starts at 7 p.m. Wednesday in Council Chambers in Town Hall, 1250 Union Road.
Also this week:
• The Town Board meets at 7 p.m. Monday in Council Chambers at Town Hall.
• Barroom Buzzards are scheduled to perform at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the Lion’s Bandshell behind Town Hall. If it rains, the concert will be moved to the Senior Citizens Center at 4620 Seneca St. The concert is sponsored by Southgate Plaza; admission is free.
• Blarney Bunch will perform at 7 p.m. Thursday in the band shell, with the venue switching to the senior center in case of rain. This concert is sponsored by state Assemblyman Michael P. “Mickey” Kearns, D-Buffalo.
• Summer classes offered by West Seneca Community Education will be held July 1 through Aug. 15. See the “Learning for Life’s Seasons” brochure at www.wscschools.org/commed for more information about courses, schedules and fees.
• Thinking about showing off your garden in this year’s “West Seneca in Bloom” contest? Entry forms, due July 10, are available at the Burchfield Nature & Art Center, 2001 Union Road, or online at www.burchfieldNAC.org. This year, the Burchfield Nature & Art Center is partnering with West Seneca Garden Walk, scheduled for July 20. Gardeners may enter one or both events.