Share this article

print logo

Dog with healthy appetite blamed for Newfane kitchen fire

NEWFANE – A determined and hungry dog is suspected of triggering a fire that damaged the kitchen of a Ridge Road home Friday evening, Niagara County sheriff’s deputies said.

Deputies said a resident of the home at 6896 Ridge indicated she left for a while Friday evening after placing the cat’s food atop a George Foreman grill, which was sitting atop a stove – a maneuver designed to prevent her dog from eating the cat’s food.

Whe she returned about 6:30 p.m., smoke detectors were sounding and the grill was on fire, said deputies, who added that the resident belives the dog may have switched on the stove while jumping to get at the cat’s food.

The grill was destroyed and the stove and a nearby wall alsow were damaged, said deputies, who added that the cat and dog are OK.