2013 coaches baseball polls
State classification in parentheses; first place votes in brackets; LW-last week’s poll; *indicates tie. Large schools are classes AA and A; small schools are B, C and D.
School Points LW
1. Clarence (AA)  90 1
2. Lancaster (AA) 75 2
3. Williamsville South (A) 72 3
4. Orchard Park (AA) * 58 4
4. St. Joe’s * 58 7
6. Hamburg (A) 44 6
7. Canisius 30 8
8. Lockport (AA) 29 5
9. Starpoint (A) 20 9
10. St. Francis 11 NR
Also receiving votes: Grand Island (A) 11, Lake Shore (A) 5.
School Points LW
1. Fredonia (B-1)  80 1
2. Tonawanda (B-1) 72 2
3. Portville (C) 51 6
4. St. Mary’s/Lancaster 49 7
5. Springville (B-1) 39 3
6. Akron 38 4
7. Albion (B-1) 31 8
8. Pine Valley (D) 23 NR
9. Olean (B-1) 17 9
10. Westfield (C) 16 7
Honorable mention: JFK (B-2) 12, East Aurora (B-1) 11.
2013 coaches softball polls
School Points LW
1. Clarence (AA)  90 1
2. Lancaster (AA) 77 2
3. Hamburg (A-1) 75 3
4. Niagara Falls (AA) 57 4
5. Starpoint (A-2) 49 5
6. Niagara-Wheatfield (AA) 43 5
7. Iroquois 26 7
8. West Seneca East (A-1) 21 NR
9. Kenmore West (AA) 20 8
10. Wmsv. North (AA) 18 9t
Also receiving votes: Williamsville South (A-1) 9, Orchard Park (AA) 4, Williamsville East (A-1) 4, Sacred Heart 2.
1. Eden (B-1)  56
2. Nichols  46
3. Falconer (B-2) 45
4. Depew (B-1) 41
5. Frewsburg (C) 30
6. Roy-Hart (B-2) 25
7. Forestville (D) 18
8. Alden (B-1) 16
9. Newfane (B-1) 12
10. Immaculata 10
Also receiving votes: Pine Valley (D) 8, Fredonia (B-2) 6, Mount St. Mary 5, Chautauqua Lake (C) 5, Cassadaga Valley (C) 4, St. Mary’s/Lanc. 2, Cattaraugus/Little Valley 1.
• Baseball’s Far West Regionals are today. In Class AA Clarence plays Victor at Sal Maglie Stadium in Niagara Falls. At Dwyer Stadium in Batavia, it’s Williamsville South vs. Pittsford- Sutherland in Class A and Pine Valley vs. Whitesville in Class D. Diethrick Park in Jamestown will host the Class B game between Fredonia and Wayland-Cohocton and Class C involving Portville and Bolivar-Richburg.
• Hamburg, the only boys lacrosse team to advance out of the Far West Regionals, will play Jamesville-Dewitt of Section III in the Class B state semifinals on Wednesday at St. John Fisher at 3:30 p.m.
• The New York State Track and Field Championships are Friday and Saturday in Middletown.
• Softball’s Far West Regionals are today at two different sites. At Brockport State, Class AA Clarence plays Brockport, Class A Hamburg plays Mercy and Class B Falconer plays Wayland Cohocton. At Olean, Class C Frewsburg plays Keshequa and Class D Pine Valley takes on Andover.
• Two Nichols golfers will compete next weekend in the Federation Tournament at Bethpage Black. Sophomore Greg Sibick shot a 75 and senior Jake Zeigler had a 78 at the par 72 James Baird State Park and Catholic State Championship to qualify. The Fed is a one-round shootout on Sunday.
Halls of Fame
Cleveland Hill: The Eagles will induct one coach and one athlete into their Hall of Fame at tonight’s annual sports night banquet. Doors open at 5:30 p.m., dinner is at 6 p.m. and awards are at 7 p.m.
Dennis Mason coached football, track, wrestling and bowling during his 41-year career that began in 1969. His football teams won five sectional titles and his track teams were ECIC champions 17 times. Myron Lee (‘01) was a four-year starter in three sports. In football he holds school records for career TDs with 27 and passing percentage at 57.4. He scored 953 points in his basketball career and in baseball was a league all-star four times. Tickets are available at the door for $5.
Lancaster: Dennis Beck, the winningest wrestling coach in Section VI history, joins a class of six that will be inducted into the Lancaster Athletic Hall of Fame on June 22 at 10 a.m. in the school auditorium.
Joining Beck (Class of 1967) will be Dave Amey (1959), AJ Copeland (1979), Janine Spezio Eikenberg (1989), Jay Stellrecht (1987) and the late Jim “Irish” McCloskey (1930). Any descendants of McCloskey are asked to email: email@example.com. The induction will be the fifth since the Hall was founded in 2001 and will bring the total number of inductees to 32.
Kenmore West: The Athletic Hall of Fame Selection Committee has announced the Class of 2013. The Hall of Famers will be inducted Oct. 18 at Banchetti’s by Rizzo’s, North French Road, Amherst.
The class: Robert Doerr Sr. (1959), Susan Falsone (1992), George Farley (1956), Jeff Gruendike (2000), Sean Kibrick (1995), James Mallory (2005), Michael Sylves (2000), and Gary Warner (1956). For ticket information, contact Joe Greco at Kenmore West, at 874-8401.
Calling all all-stars
All spring all-star teams should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as they are selected.
Lockport is accepting applications for a varsity and junior varsity girls swimming coaches for the fall. Send a letter of interest to: Patrick M. Burke, Lockport High School, 250 Lincoln Ave. Lockport, New York 14094
• Our list of the college destinations of the Class of 2013 is posted at the Prep Talk blog. Help us continue to add to the list by emailing the athlete’s name, sport, high school, college (and what level the college is; Division I, III, NAIA, etc.) to email@example.com; or send it via Twitter to @KeithMcSheaBN.
• The high school sports home page at buffalonews.com has an archive of Scholastic Spotlight and High School Extra stories, along with photos and photo galleries.
• This is the last Scholastic Spotlight page of the spring season. The News will continue to follow all of the state playoffs. Continue to send items of interest to Sidelines via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax at 849-4587.