Share this article

print logo

Woman charged with felony in deadly crash
Brant justice releases Danielle N. Kellogg on bail, quietly warns her not to drink or drive

Danielle N. Kellogg remains free on bail after a felony hearing was held late Friday afternoon in Brant Town Court, charging her with drunken driving and vehicular manslaughter when she caused a crash Tuesday morning on Southwestern Boulevard that claimed the life of 7-month-old Baylee Marie Dion.

Kellogg, 24, of Brant, kept a stony-faced expression when she appeared before Brant Justice Peter F. Gugino.

Kellogg, wearing blue jeans, a black jacket with a gray hooded sweatshirt, boots and wire-rimmed glasses, was represented by defense attorney Tom Casey. She declined to have the charges of vehicular manslaughter and driving while intoxicated read in open court.

She was released on $20,000 bail she previously posted with a stern admonition from Gugino.

"No driving, no drinking," he said. "If you're found drinking or driving between now and the court date ... "

The justice's voice and apparent threat of consequences could only be heard by counsel at the bench.

Steve Boyd, who is representing Scott Dion and Denise Hine – Baylee's parents – in expected civil litigation against Kellogg, believes Gugino was "trying to send a message to [Kellogg]."

"He's going to throw her back in jail if she does it again," Boyd said.

Boyd said Baylee's parents met with a funeral director earlier Friday and they were "focused on remembering their daughter."

"This was hard," Boyd said of the day.

A private memorial service for Baylee is scheduled Wednesday in Hamburg Wesleyan Church, Boyd added.

During Friday's court proceeding, Kellogg used a hoodie to cover her head as she walked into and out of the courtroom. She and her friends did not pause to answer reporters' questions.

Her attorneys also declined to comment.

In the courtroom Friday, a small group of friends of the Dion and Hine families gathered. Some cried during the short proceeding.

Others hugged and wept quietly.

News Staff Reporter T.J. Pignataro contributed to this report.