Share this article

print logo

Dunkirk fire started by child playing with fire in kitchen

DUNKIRK – The fire that heavily damaged a residence at 184 King St. early Tuesday was started by a child who was playing with fire in the kitchen, the Chautauqua County Sheriff’s Office announced late Thursday.

City firefighters found the house engulfed in flames when they arrived shortly before 6 a.m., and determined the fire had started near the southside door to the kitchen.

Further investigation by the county fire investigators and Dunkirk police determined the fire started at floor level near the kitchen door, where as a child was playing with fire. The age of the child was not disclosed.