Share this article

print logo

From the blotter/ Police calls and court cases, Sept. 19 to Sept. 25

Sept. 19

A burglar who had been on probation for the past year as an experiment did well enough for Niagara County Judge Matthew J. Murphy III to extend the burglar's probation term to a full five years.
Matthew B. Biles, 27, of Knotty Pine Drive, Lockport, had pleaded guilty last year to attempted third-degree burglary for entering a garage on Royal Parkway South in the Town of Lockport in the early hours of June 25, 2011. He had stolen some lottery tickets from a car and made off with a miter saw after being confronted by the homeowner.

Sept. 20

A Lockport man pleaded guilty in Niagara County Court to forging notes from a doctor to keep disability checks coming after he had recovered from injuries suffered in an auto accident.
Matthew J. Luke, 27, of Chapel Street, pleaded guilty to fourth-degree insurance fraud and faces up to four years behind bars when he returns before County Judge Sara Sheldon Farkas for sentencing Nov. 29.
Luke also must repay $14,969 to State Farm Insurance, which he collected between May 2010 and September 2011.
Assistant District Attorney Heather A. DeCastro said Luke had a legitimate note from a physician saying he was injured, and kept copying it and altering it slightly to try to fool State Farm. DeCastro said Luke apparently was working at the time.
. A man serving a state prison sentence for drug possession was arraigned in Niagara County Court on more felony drug charges stemming from sales that allegedly occurred before the crime for which he is serving time.
Kurtis R. Washington, 21, of Cottage Street, Lockport, pleaded not guilty to three counts each of third-degree sale and possession of a controlled substance.
Assistant District Attorney Peter M. Wydysh said Washington allegedly sold crack cocaine in Lockport Dec. 5, 6 and 9 to a police informant who caught all three deals on audio tape.
Washington was sentenced to boot camp-style "shock incarceration" in June after pleading guilty to attempted fourth-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance for having crack cocaine in Lockport Dec. 17. Washington is due for release Jan. 24, according to the state prison website.

Sept. 24

Lockport police said they had to force a Lockport man out of his vehicle after he refused orders to exit. The man was found to be carrying a large bag of marijuana, which police said he appeared to be trying to hide in the waistband of his pants.
Jesse J. Coia, 20, of Maple Street was stopped in a parking lot in the 400 block of Davison Road and charged at 10:25 p.m. with resisting arrest, fifth-degree possession of marijuana and obstructing government administration.
An officer said he saw the suspicious plastic bag of marijuana in Coia's hooded jacket and told him to exit the vehicle. Police said Coia closed the window and locked the doors of his vehicle. An officer said he started kicking the suspect's window and Coia unlocked the door, but refused to leave. The officer said he was forced to pull him out by his shirt and was arrested after a struggle with two officers.
. David G. Dexter, 27, pleaded guilty in Niagara County Court to burglarizing an apartment Aug. 18 on Bewley Parkway in Lockport, where he was living at the time.
Dexter, who pleaded guilty to third-degree burglary, said he will live with a relative on Ward Road in Wheatfield upon entering the judicial diversion program of court-supervised drug treatment, to which he was assigned by County Judge Sara Sheldon Farkas.
The plea deal included an agreement to dismiss a grand larceny charge stemming from the theft of some of his girlfriend's belongings, which were sold to obtain money to buy drugs, Assistant District Attorney Joseph A. Scalzo said. Dexter, a father of three, agreed to pay $950 in restitution for the burglary.
. A Niagara County sheriff patrol discovered a mailbox had been intentionally set on fire in the 2600 block of New Road in Wilson just after 2 a.m.
The deputy was checking the area after the Niagara County Sheriff's Office received a similar report in the same area over the weekend.
The patrol on Monday found that an accelerant had been poured on the mailbox and then set on fire. Two red plastic cups were found near the black plastic mailbox and the deputy said he could smell the odor of gasoline on the cups. The mailbox was partially damaged on the rear side only, according to a report.
A similar report was received at 1:30 a.m. Saturday in the 2700 block of New Road. A man told deputies that he was awakened by the glow of a fire and found his neighbor's mailbox on fire. The man said he ran outside and put the fire out with a garden hose. The neighbor house is currently vacant and in foreclosure, according to deputies.

Sept. 25

A John Street man was charged with second-degree assault after he punched a girlfriend during a fight, police said.
Cedric R. Carpenter, 18, was additionally charged with third-degree menacing by Lockport Police.
The victim, who lives in the John Street home told police that she and Carpenter had a verbal argument at 1:30 a.m. Tuesday. She said when she tried to flee into a bathroom Carpenter followed her and punched her in the face with a closed fist.
She said she almost lost consciousness and went to the emergency room for bleeding and bruising.
. Niagara Falls police spotted a shoplifting suspect they had been searching for eating green grapes out of a plastic bag, but when they approached him he turned on police, swinging a large chain with a padlock attached and told police they would have to pull out a gun to bring him in.
Isiah M. Anderson, 43, no permanent address, was charged with second-degree menacing, petit larceny, resisting arrest and fourth-degree criminal possession of a weapon just before 10 a.m.
Police charged Anderson in the 1500 block of Elmwood Avenue after a short foot chase. Police threatened to use a Taser, but were able to bring him into custody without the weapon when he dropped the chain. He refused to lay on the ground and put his hands behind his back and an officer had to grab his shirt and force him to the ground by putting a knee in his back, police reported.
He was positively identified at the Tops Supermarket on Portage Road, accused of leaving the store with a bag of green grapes.