Share this article

print logo

Ochocinco takes his talents to Miami

DAVIE, Fla. -- Chad Ochocinco will achieve his childhood dream of playing for the Miami Dolphins.

The South Florida native, and formerly unemployed NFL receiver, worked out for the Dolphins before Monday's OTA sessions and was signed to a one-year deal that includes incentives Monday night according to a source. Ochocinco also says on his website he signed with Miami.

Ochocinco, who was waived by the New England Patriots last week, will compete for one of the five or six receiver spots on the 53-man roster. But there's also a chance he could earn a starting role.

Reggie Bush has known Ochocinco for a few years, and was willing to vouch for the attention-starved receiver, who has been miscast with a diva receiver label.

"Good guy, good player," Bush said. "I personally think he still has a lot left. Knowing him he wants to prove he can do it at his age, still play the game."

Ochocinco had a disappointing season with the Patriots last year, catching just 15 passes for 276 yards and one touchdown in 15 games. In the postseason, he only played in the Super Bowl and had one catch in that game.

But New England's offense primarily fed Wes Welker and the team's two elite tight ends. With the Patriots, Ochocinco was the team's fourth or fifth option.

In his career, Ochocinco has caught 766 passes for 11,059 yards and 67 touchdowns. All of the Dolphins' returning receivers have less than a dozen career TDs.

The Dolphins traded Pro Bowl receiver Brandon Marshall to the Chicago Bears in March for two third-round draft picks, and didn't draft a receiver until the sixth round.

***

Arbitrator sides with Goodell

NEW YORK -- An arbitrator ruled that NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has the authority to discipline former Saints defensive end Anthony Hargrove for the New Orleans bounties program.

University of Pennsylvania professor Stephen Burbank reserved judgment last week on Hargrove's case until the NFL provided more information why the player, now with Green Bay, was suspended for eight games. But Burbank now has ruled that he has no jurisdiction over Hargrove, either.

Burbank cites a letter from the NFL that attributes "the vast majority of (Hargrove's) eight-game suspension to lying and obstruction." The balance of evidence pertains to his "active participation in the program by pledging and contributing money to the pool."

Hargrove, Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma and DE Will Smith, and linebacker Scott Fujita, now with Cleveland, appealed their suspensions and will appear before Goodell next Monday.

Goodell suspended Vilma for the entire 2012 season and Smith for four games. Fujita was docked three games.

Vilma also has sued Goodell for defamation in a U.S. District Court in New Orleans and Goodell has been given until July 5 to respond to the action.

***

Around the league

*Giants offensive lineman David Diehl has been arraigned in New York City on charges of driving under the influence of alcohol. He was arraigned on two counts of impaired driving, had his license suspended, released on his own recognizance and order to return to court July 26.

Police say they got calls about a car accident in Queens around 8:45 p.m. Sunday. When they got there, they found a BMW had struck several parked cars along 35th Avenue.

They say Diehl was behind the wheel. They say he was charged after a breath test showed he was above the legal limit.

*The Arizona Cardinals have signed first-round draft pick wide receiver Michael Floyd to a five-year contract.