June is a great month for a lot of things. It's a great month to get married, as I and a million other brides have done. It's a great month to have a yard sale, because demand has been pent up among all the diehards who have been waiting all winter and spring to get out on the trail. And of course, June is the best time to be a kid, because school is out for summer.
June is also the best time to make certain purchases. Here's a list of things you'll want to scoop up this month, according to FreeShipping.org's "Best Time to Buy Guide."
* A gym membership. The gyms are packed after New Year's Day, because everybody is on the wagon with their fitness program. By June, everyone has either fallen off the wagon or taken their workouts outside into the fresh air. Gyms are desperate for more bodies, so they'll be ready and willing to sweeten the pot with incentives, like waived fees, free months or other perks.
* Children's movies. Lots of movie theaters offer extremely discounted admission for kids during the summer. Regal Cinemas' nine-week Summer Movie Express program offers $1 movie admission for 10 a.m. showings on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. For more information, www.regmovies.com/summermovieexpress.
* Paint. Do-it-yourselfers are taking advantage of the weather and attacking projects at full steam. Hardware stores know this and offer their best prices so you'll shop with them rather than a competitor.
* Tools. Hardware stores offer great Father's Day sales on tools and hardware. Even if you're not buying for Dad, it doesn't mean you shouldn't take advantage of the great prices.
* Champagne. As I've learned from my husband, the wine snob, sparkling wine can't be called champagne unless it was produced in the province of Champagne in the northeast region of France. Whatever you call it, bubbly will be on sale this month, thanks to competing suppliers scrambling to supply the many wedding celebrations scheduled in June.
* Seasonal produce. Hit the farmers' markets and farm stands to get the freshest, most delicious fruit and veggies.
My favorite is on Robinson Street in North Tonawanda, but try Badding Bros. on Transit Road in East Amherst or the Tower Farming Co. in Youngstown. You can find them in Hamburg and East Aurora, too.
* Butter. Yes, butter. Production soars in June and July, so now is the time to stock up. You can freeze it for up to six months, so if you buy enough now you can fill your freezer and get through all of that holiday baking in November and December on the cheap.?
email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call MoneySmart at 849-4612. Follow me at www.Facebook.com/DiscountDiva.