Lockport man sentenced to 2 years in cocaine case
LOCKPORT -- A Cottage Street man was sentenced Tuesday to two years in prison in a drug case.
Niagara County Judge Matthew J. Murphy III said Kurtis R. Washington, 21, had enough cocaine to make it look like he is a drug dealer.
Washington had admitted May 2 to a reduced charge of attempted fourth-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance for having crack cocaine in Lockport on Dec. 17.
Niagara man pleads guilty in attack on fellow inmate
LOCKPORT -- A Town of Niagara man who assaulted a fellow inmate in the Niagara County Jail pleaded guilty to a felony Tuesday in County Court.
Jason W. Lewis, 39, of Isherwood Drive, admitted to a reduced charge of attempted second-degree assault.
Judge Matthew J. Murphy III accepted a prosecution recommendation to sentence Lewis to 1 1/2 to three years in prison, a sentence that may be served simultaneously with an 18-month federal sentence Lewis is now serving in a marijuana case. Lewis, who beat up the other inmate Aug. 10, will be formally sentenced Sept. 13.
Previously convicted felon arraigned in cocaine sale
LOCKPORT -- A Niagara Falls man who has two previous drug felony convictions was arraigned Tuesday in Niagara County Court on an indictment charging him with making six cocaine sales between Feb. 22 and April 17.
Daryl J. Means, 42, of Michigan Avenue, pleaded not guilty to six counts of third-degree sale of a controlled substance, along with seven counts of third-degree possession and one count of seventh-degree possession.
Assistant District Attorney Peter M. Wydysh said Means allegedly made five drug deals in Niagara Falls and one in Lewiston.
A co-defendant in the Lewiston deal and one of the Niagara Falls sales, James Puckett, 49, of Michigan Avenue in the Falls, is charged in the indictment with two counts each of third-degree sale and third-degree possession and one count of seventh-degree possession. He has not yet been arraigned.
Guard pleads not guilty in fatal beating of stepson
Ali Mohamed Mohamud, the security guard accused of beating to death his 10-year-old stepson, pleaded not guilty Tuesday in State Supreme Court to second-degree murder.
The 40-year-old stepfather was arraigned before State Supreme Court Justice Christopher J. Burns.
Mohamud allegedly killed Abdifatah "Abdi" Mohamud on April 17 in their Buffalo home.
He remains locked up without bail in the Erie County Holding Center and is scheduled to return to court for a pretrial hearing June 25.
Woman accused of using children in shoplifting
NIAGARA FALLS -- A city woman is accused of using her children to help her shoplift.
Angela M. Battles, 30, of Richlawn Avenue, was charged with petit larceny and endangering the welfare of a child Saturday.
Battles was observed by store security at 6:30 p.m. in a Walmart on Military Road taking clothing off store shelves and putting them into a diaper bag she was carrying. She then handed the diaper bag to one of the two juveniles who were with her, an 11-year-old girl, as they left the store, police said. Value of stolen clothing was more than $142, according to a police report.
Battles told police that the juveniles were her children.
3 vehicles damaged in Falls break-ins
NIAGARA FALLS -- Three vehicles were damaged in larcenies reported Monday to Niagara Falls police.
The owner of a 2011 Ford Escape told police that while he was parked in a parking lot at the Hampton Inn on Rainbow Boulevard on Sunday, someone smashed a window and took a GPS. Police are investigating a possible description from hotel security and fingerprints found at the scene. Damage and loss were estimated at $400.
In the 600 block of 70th Street, a woman told police that a catalytic converter was stolen from her 2004 Pontiac Sunfire last week. Meanwhile, a 2003 Chevy Impala was broken into between 5 and 6 p.m. Monday while parked on the street in the 2400 block of Ferry Avenue, police reported. The owner said someone smashed a front passenger side window and took a $300 brown and purple Coach purse that contained $20, a credit card and driver's license.
Dismissed Corasanti juror pleads not guilty to DWI
A dismissed juror in the Dr. James G. Corasanti manslaughter trial pleaded not guilty Monday in Tonawanda Town Court to aggravated driving while intoxicated and leaving the scene of a property damage accident.
Michael E. Barron, 40, of Courier Boulevard, Kenmore, was allowed him to remain free pending trial, Judge Daniel Cavarello ruled. Attorney Lindsey Copeland, who represented Barron, said Barron regrets the incident but is "innocent until proven guilty."
Barron, who works in the Social Security Administration office in Amherst, was removed from the jury hearing Corasanti's fatal hit-and-run trial in the wake of his arrest early May 2 on Elmwood Avenue.